911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Can Remicade interfere with the metabolism of alcohol- i.e.

Can Remicade interfere with the metabolism of alcohol- i.e. slow the process?

911Doctor :

No, it does not slow the metabolism of alcohol

911Doctor :

but there are warnings if you are also taking a drug called methotrexate that alcohol with remicade AND methotrexate can cause liver damage in some patients

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

so you can drink alcohol with remicade in moderation and as per the link provided

911Doctor :

you should tell your provider if you are having any strange symptoms when you are using alcohol

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a patient who reportedly consumed about 4 oz of alcohol during the early afternoon. He was later stopped for speeding. At 6pm his BAC was .21. He is 6'2" tall and weighs about 260 lbs. He was dieting heavily and losing 1 lb a week fro a month. He had lost 20 lbs in the last month. Either: 1. He is lying about the alcohol consumption. 2. something made his BAC so high after not that much alcohol. Trying to determine whether Remicade interfered with alphadehydrognase or what.

It doesn't interfere with the metabolism of alcohol. I'm sorry to say this but he drank more than 4oz of alcohol.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Too bad in a way but maybe he will get into treatment for ETOH abuse.

I hope so.

best

911doc

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could ketosis have elevated the BAC? He was losing a pound a week and had lost 20 in all. He was eating a gluten free diet and eating only meats.