Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

My husband suffered a severe calf cramp last night. He jumped

My husband suffered a severe calf cramp last night. He jumped out of bed very quickly and stretched it out (although it is still slightly sore) but my big concern is that after that, he walked over to our bathroom, leaned against the door frame and fainted. I have never been so scared in my life! It took me a good 15 - 30 seconds to wake him up. He is aged 40 and relatively fit I believe - should this be checked out or should we put it down to dehydration (we are in the middle of a heat wave) and te fact that he jumped out of bed so quickly?

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Did he have any other symptom during the fainting like involuntary movement, frothing in mouth etc?

Was there any other symptom after he gained consciousness?

How is his blood pressure, pulse?

Did he have any past illness?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No other health issues that we are aware of. Have not checked pulse and bp (I probably can since I work in a non profit medical clinic but am not clinical!)

No involuntary movement or frothing - he didnt know where he was when he woke up though

Thank you for the information.

From the symptoms it is likely that he had a syncopal attack.

Syncope is a temporary loss of consciousness due to transient loss of blood supply to the brain.

One of the common cause of syncope is vasovagal attack which usually is a transient phenomena and does not need any treatment.

This can be precipitated by stimuli like heat, pain.

Dehydration can also be a factor.

However, other causes like heart or neurological disorders needs to be ruled out.

I would suggest to have an examination by his doctor.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.