Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hello Doctor - My Orthopedic has diagnosed me to have Chondromalacia

Hello Doctor - My Orthopedic has diagnosed me to have Chondromalacia Patella in my knees doe to which i need to make my muscles strong. I am generally a very flexible person. However, I am only 30 years. I wanted to know how long can i stay pain free if i make my muscles strong? Also, if the muscles are strong, by how much percent does it reduce the pressure on the knee?
Hello and welcome,

The strong muscles can keep you pain free for up to the age of 60-70 years. So regular exercises of the knee muscles are usually very helpful and just stationary cycle can keep your knees strong and pain free. The strong muscles take away almost 50-60 percent of pressure as the knee joint is stabilized by the muscles around the knee.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Doctor i've attached my xray - can you advise based on this?

Hello Afreen,

This is mild chondromalcia patellae and following would help you;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.f) Reduce weight if over weight/obese.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

6) Acupuncture

7) Hyaluronic acid injections in knee.

8) Local analgesic sprays and ointments to your skin may help relieve the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.

9) Deep Electrotherapy by physical therapist.

These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Doctor - so based o this i can stay pain free upto age of 60-70 years, provided i have strong muscles around the knee?

Yes. Sure. Strong muscles would keep you pain free up to 60-70 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Doctor - can you tell me why my knee pains more when I am in the airconditioner?

The cold temperature increases the swelling the tissues, which causes stretching of these structures like tendon sheaths and cartilage around the knee cap. That induces the pain. Nothing serious or significant and this phenomenon is common in most of the people.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also - one mroe question - can i know what is the long term treatment for this kind of osteoarthritis of the kneecap? suchas in my old age?

Physical therapy is the mainstay of the treatment. A supervised physiotherapy program is ideal thing. Deep electrotherapy done at physical therapy centers like therapeutic ultrasound or diathermy also are helpful.

The basic exercise principles for management are restoring muscle balance within the quadriceps group, improving range of motion, and restricting the offending physical activity.

Stretching of the quadriceps should be of long duration (20-30 seconds) and performed with low force.

Soft knee braces may also be of benefit initially. Bracing involves control of the tracking position of the patella and restriction of full knee flexion. Braces vary in the manner in which the patella is restricted (patellar window, patellar bar, patellar horseshoe and all of these are available without prescription), but they all have same efficacy. Braces that are tightly applied directly over the patella should be avoided, as it may exacerbate the condition.