Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

For the past two months I have felt a slight but constant urge

For the past two months I have felt a slight but constant urge to urinate which is also occasionally a sharp sensation. I believe this began due to weightlifting. My only concern is whether this is a muscular/tissue problem or if it is a nerve. It is not a life-ruining sensation and I am happy to wait but I know that nerve damage can be very dangerous.
Have you undergone any investigations so far?
Lower back pain?
Burning sensation and pain during urination?
Frequent urination?
Are you currently taking any medications?
Stress and anxiety?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No lower back pain. No shooting pain in or down my legs. Occasional foot tingle.

Only once since the condition began has my urination been noticeably painful or burning. But regularly, no, urination has not been especially painful.

Yes to frequent urination. I don't always produce very much but I make many trips to the toilet. I received an ultrasound at the urologist's office which found that my bladder is emptying normally.

Medication, occasionally I will take an Aleve and I am virtually asymptomatic for the rest of the day. As for prescriptions I finished each round of Cipro and Doxy and nothing currently.

I don't think there is any external stress or anxiety but the urinary condition is a self-perpetuating stress.

No constipation, but you are the first to ask about that.

I have been sexually active since the sensation began. I worry that it has affected my size and performance but I would not be surprised if that is just psychological.

The sensation is localized entirely in the tip of the penis -- that is, it does not travel down the shaft. The rest of the penis feels normal as ever, as does my abdomen, which is why I am curious about the diagnosis of a abdominal muscle strain.

Thanks for providing more information.

As you describe, possible causes may include pelvic floor muscle tension, Urethritis.

Heavy weight lifting can be contributing factor in your case.

So you should avoid such strenuous activities for a while and you may benefit from being referred to a physical therapist to help teach pelvic floor relaxation exercises. You may also benefit from a medication like amytriptyline for your current symptoms.

Also further Cystoscopy should be advised to look inside the urethra to see if there may be anything irritating the urethra.

Drink cranberry juice and plenty of fluids.

Avoid spicy, fried foods.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much.

In your opinion am I in danger of any permanent damage or discomfort? Or will this resolve eventually? I must admit my biggest concern is not inconvenience as it is erectile function.

Thanks for the follow-up.
Do you have problem with erection as well?
Have you monitored your nocturnal erection?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not had a problem so far but I guess I am worried that if I do not take corrective action on the condition, I will be jeopardizing my erectile function. Maybe I am just nervous. But I am glad you asked about the nocturnal erection as that is one source of my concern. Prior to this condition I woke up each morning with an erection almost every day. Now it seems I do not have nocturnal erections at all.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

If you have involuntary erections during sleep or early morning then you shouldn't worry at all as your symptoms can be associated with psychological factors
such as stress, anxiety, guilt, depression, low self-esteem, and fear of sexual

You should consult a physical therapist for specific exercises which help in resolving your symptoms.

You'll be fine.

And I want to assure you that you are healthy and eat a balanced diet and do regular exercises, yoga, deep breathing exercises.

Avoid alcohol.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much Dr. Kumar, you have been great.

You are most welcome.
Good luck.

Whenever you have health related problems then you can ask me in future.
It's my privilege to help you in every aspect.
Thanks dear.