Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hi, my hubby has had a cough for ages, he has been to the doctor

Customer Question

Hi, my hubby has had a cough for ages, he has been to the doctor and been diagnosed with COPD, he is on medication for this. He stopped smoking in 1987, so some time ago, but recently he has been coughing up lots of black (total black) mucus, don't know if that is old crap(as from smoking from 26 years ago) from lungs, he never did smoke marijuana
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--just to be clear here is he coughing this up or throwing it up? Has he had a chest x-ray recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No due in 2 days, he was diagnosed with COPD about 2 years ago, but been recently about a fall he did 5 weeks ago, slipped on bus step and hit left shoulder, so hurts him to change gears in a public bus he drives, I truly don't believe this has anything to do with the phlegm he is coughing up, but last night he coughed up, but earlier said he threw up in toilet, it was black as ace of spades, and all splashed on toilet pan, so not sure whether to feel to push things further or not
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--any problem with heartburn or indigestion or has he ever had a peptic ulcer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not as far as I know, we have been married 31 years so peptic ulcer for sure no, indigestion maybe, but he doesn't complain, he burps constantly, but I put that to the puffers he uses for the COPD
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--assuming this is from his stomach and not his lungs it is either bile or perhaps blood that has been sitting in his stomach for some time. If it were from his lungs and black that might imply a fungal infection of the lungs like aspergillus. I think he needs to see a doctor as soon as possible and I would perform an upper endoscopy to look for bleeding gastritis or a bleeding peptic ulcer at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, will get him checked out ASAP in the morning, but I would think he would feel some sort of pain, as he is not in pain at all, but his appetite is nothing like it use to be 2 to 3 months ago, he only eats half to 1/3 of what he use to eat but otherwise he is about usual other than now he doesn't do anything around the house but don't know if that's laziness or age or don't know, he hasn't been interested in doing things around house for at least 6 months
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You can have gastritis or an ulcer without much more than perhaps some heartburn at times. Please let me know how he does Vicky and remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will, and thank you so much, I will make sure he makes the appointment tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just an update, but probably nothing like I expected to be, after having lots of tests and my hubby trying to not upset me but after all tests and seeing cancer specialists he has non Hodgkin's lymphoma, not quite sure exactly what to expect as I only know its a cancer in the blood but he will start chemotherapy on 18th September, I picked up lots of pamphlets on Friday to read, but glad it is dealt with so quick, still not sure what to expect????
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear that. What tests exactly did he have? What did the oncologist have to say Vicky?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had some sort of cat scan, he was injected with something to show if anything showed throughout his organs, lymph nodes were not swollen, nothing showed up in his organs. His white blood count was extremely high in blood and bone marrow test.
The oncologist probably told me more than I thought I took in, hubby has to have chemotherapy every 3 weeks, he is giving him 6 treatments and then give him a break for 3 months, if all goes well. It will make him very tired and sick on the second week after treatment, he will lose his hair.
Also mentioned some treatment with the word immune in it, to help boosts his immunity, I gather, but not sure what that is involved, I assume its in medications he will be given, also has to have his heart checked out as the chemo can do some damage to heart and kidneys, so scan for that has been booked and medication for kidneys to start night before chemo, but you know all this, I think this is the normal route about chemo.
I truly don't think my original question at the beginning really was associated with this, but lots of other little things make sense now, and his appetite just dropped really quick in the last few weeks.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like the usual course of treatment Vicky--anything about this I might help you with tonight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but thank you so much, I think I have read and been given enough to help with any questions I may come across, but thank you for all your help. xxx
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Take care then