Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hi, I am a 64 yr old female. Today at 4 pm I recvd an electric

Hi, I am a 64 yr old female. Today at 4 pm I recvd an electric shock when I turned my swimming pool filter/heater off. I immediately felt sweaty, rapid heart rate and mild headache, shakiness for 1/2 hr. I came in the house and put my feet up, had a cold beverage, and rested, and felt weak but better. Now I feel my pulse in my left leg from my knee to my ankle and it is driving me crazy....coincidence? I have never felt this before.
Thank you
Hello and welcome, Joanne,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Do you feel flickers of muscle contractions in the leg?
Are you on any medications?
Any significant past medical illness or surgery?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

muscle contractions this afternoon, I take azathioprine, ursodiol and citralopram. I have primary biliary chirosis....for many years, doing well.
No recent surgery.

Thanks Joanne,

How much voltage is the swimming pool filter/heater? Was it an high voltage shock?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't was quick as the circuit breaker cancelled the current.

Hello Joanne,

The rule is that even a low voltage shock should be evaluated by an EKG. The reason is that it may cause heart abnormal electrical activity called as arrhythmia. With the symptoms of sweaty, rapid heart rate and mild headache, shakiness immediately after the shock, this is further necessary. The feeling of pulse from ankle to knee can be muscle contractions due to electrical shock and can cause increase in the compartment pressure in the legs (termed as compartment syndrome). Though with your manifestations this has a very low chance. But we work on the highly cautionary side with these symptoms and since EKG would be advised just for the screening, it is advised to go to ER for an evaluation. Again, just to re-emphasize, these symptoms may not be anything serious, but any symptoms post shock need physical exam and an EKG.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I go to ER now, or can I wait till morning...It is midnight where I live. Thank you.

Ideally you should be evaluated right away.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will go to the hospital now . THank you very much.

You are most welcome.

All the very best