Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

Panic attacks I was just online with someone but the connection

Panic attacks

I was just online with someone but the connection was lost. Whant can I do to control these attacks, they slowly creep up and then I cannot get rid of it, I start shaking all over...once that starts, forget it i'm already gone. Can someone please help me with this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 10 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I am sorry that you get panic attacks from time to time.

Experts believe that the panic attacks can be controlled before they get worse. When a panic attack starts, the person tends to hyperventilate. hyperventilation causes quick fat breathing with inadequate air intake - this leads to oxygen insufficiency which causes other symptoms like light-headedness, giddiness, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, and feelings of weakness.

One of the tricks to stopping a panic attack is to become aware of one's breathing and hold the breath for a few seconds. Then take deep slow breaths filling the chest. This allows the body to concentrate on the breathing and decrease thoughts which cause stress and anxiety. Adequate oxygen will help prevent any other symptomms.

Being aware and deep breathing are the main ways by which a panic attack can be stopped from getting worse.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I see it sounds like it's all about control. I can try this, but is there anything else I can do, and I am not looking for pills. I am so hoping this works because it has to do with my job.

Diane,

You can also join a support group - your GP should be able to help you locate one.

Yoga and meditation also help - yoga teaches coordination of breathing with muscular contraction and relaxations. You can try tensing one muscle at a time, and then completely releasing the tension until every muscle in the body is relaxed.

Hypnosis has also been suggested by many as helpful in controlling panic attacks.

Avoid caffeine and alcohol - these can trigger or worsen panic attacks.
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience: Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.