Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

For the past four months, I have experienced pain in my hands.

For the past four months, I have experienced pain in my hands. It began as a tingling sensation on the tips of my three middle digits of my right hand. It continued to a pain in the entire hand going no further than my wrist. My right hand is now better, but not fully recovered from the weakened grip; however, my left hand is much worse. This pain includes the tingling, weakened grip, swelling, and an extremely painful condition even to touch my hand. It awakens me at night and I take as much "Aleve" as I can to relieve the pain.
My Dr.'s appointment was of no use, with no diagnosis or treatment suggestions.
Please help.
Thank you.
Gerry
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

When did you last consult doctor?

Did you have any test blood, X ray/ scan?

Did doctor prescribe any medicine?

Where do you have the swelling exactly?

Is it affecting joints or entire hand/ finger?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha,

I consulted a physician 1 month ago. No blood tests, xrays, or scans.

No medication was prescribed other than over the counter pain meds.

The swelling covers the entire hand and fingers, making closure difficult.

It affects entire hand and fingers.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Judy, for the information.

There can be a few possibilities for the symptoms.

This can be due to arthritis.

There are different causes for it.

Osteoarthritis is common.

Besides rheumatoid arthritis, gout are often found.

Autoimmune conditions can be there too.

Specific treatment would be required for those.

Another possibility is nerve impingement.

For nerve pain, medicines like gabapentin can help.

You need to get an examination by doctor again.

Blood tests for rheumatoid, gout arthritis, X ray / scan need to be taken.

Treatment would then follow accordingly.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience