Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I rock my baby to sleep on my left shoulder. H e has gotten

I rock my baby to sleep on my left shoulder. H e has gotten heavier and now there is a lot of strain on my shoulder. It is starting to hurt up to my neck. I tried using pain relief sprays but the effect is temporary. Please help. I am worried this may cause permanent damage to my muscle or will lead to spondilitis or something.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on and can you tell me more about the pain and why you think you might have spondylitis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had this before when i carried him a lot. then it went away for a while and now his preference is to sleep on my shoulder on a rocking chair. the pain is on my shoulder blade at the back. Using pain relief sprays only gives me temporary relief and i seem to be developing a constant pain almost. regarding spondylitis, i have no idea what it is but i know its a pain in the neck. I am starting to have pain in the neck..

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. So the pain is around one shoulder blade and maybe radiates up from there to one side of your neck? Any problem in that arm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no problem on my arm. And the pain has been around for like a week now

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. Spondylitis and spondylosis refer to chronic wear in tear in the spine with bony spurrring of the vertebrae, disk dehydration, and sometimes slipping of one vertebra on another, but you don't get that after only a few weeks or months. It sounds to me as though this is mostly muscular and you may have what's called a trigger point in your trapezius--a tight ball of muscle that can radiate pain to the shoulder and neck. Nothing very serious at all but see your doctor about it. A combination of deep tissue massage therapy, perhaps a trigger point injection with cortisone, and some oral antiinflammatories should take care of it.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could you recommend some reading on trigger point? Just for me to know what it is.. I really appreciate your answer.