Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hi Dr. My husband has been sick for over a week now. We have

Hi Dr. My husband has been sick for over a week now. We have been to a general doctor twice in the last 4 days. He can't figure out what is wrong with him and gave him a general antibiotic that isn't helping at all! My husband has been nauseous off and on (no vomit) has been urinating frequently along with some lose stools (no blood etc...). He's feeling very tired and has a constant headache. He feels shaky like he needs to eat but that doesn't help either. When he feels like he is running a temperature he sweats a lot but his actual temperature is only 95-97 degrees. Any ideas?
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Has he abdominal pain, bloating, gas, tenderness on abdomen?
Has he traveled overseas recently?
Any significant past medical illness or surgery?
What did his stool exam show?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has gas but no tenderness or pain (He has had in appendix out)

He hasn't traveled overseas, but he did travel domestically last Thursday and Friday

He had an appendectomy

No abnormality with his stools

Thanks for the further information.

Has he breathlessness / shortness of breath, neck stiffness, dizziness, loss of appetite?
Do you know about his blood and urine tests (which tests were done)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No shortness of breath or breathlessness, but he has had a stiff neck and feels lightheaded. No loss of appetite. They tested his white blood cell counts and his sugars. They did a UA for bladder infections. Everything came back clean.

The shakiness, neck stiffness, tiredness, dizziness, constant headache should rule out a viral meningitis which may have no fever. So your doctor need to reexamine him and get the blood tests repeated with consideration of the spinal tap (spinal fluid examination). The initial investigative work in the viral illnesses may not show any significant abnormality and it need to be repeated. Apart from the counts, a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) also is essential. Apart from viral meningitis this can be just viral abdominal infection, which may be transmitted during travel. This is a self limiting illness usually in 5-7 days but occasionally may take almost 10 days to resolve completely. The management is as following;

1) PeptoBismol

2) Lomotil; may only be given if the diarrhea is vigorous.

3) Gatorade / Pedialyte

4) Plenty of fluids

5) BRAT diet; banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Vegetable broths / vegetable soups, coconut water also can help.

6) Probiotics.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What would the metabolic panel consist of?

The metabolic panel consist of;

Liver function tests
Kidney function tests
Serum electrolytes
Pancreatic function tests etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. His diarrhea has gone away. Given the other symptoms is it possible he has a form of meningitis, either Aseptic or bacterial? Should we wait to see the regular Dr. again or would it be wise to go to the hospital?

You are very welcome.

This is more likely to be aseptic meningitis. A Bacterial meningitis has an high grade fever usually. It is better to see his regular doctor as his symptoms do not suggest an emergency.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You have been very helpful! Thanks so much!!! Laughing

You are most welcome.

Please rate the answer as this is the only way we get credit and compensated for work, time and expertize.

All the very best