Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

Hello Dr Anil, My neck and shoulders feel

Hello Dr Anil,
My neck and shoulders feel really tense and I feel hazy and unable to concentrate. I feel slightly dizzy when i look down. I've been to an ENT and he tells me its my neck and gave me some muscle relaxants and an anti inflammatory medication. I dont have any pain...just a tight feeling in my shoulders and neck. I feel as if there isnt enough blood going into my brain. Does the neck diagnosis seem right to you? or should i get a second opinion?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.
Neck stiffness?
Numbness,pain in arms?
History of prolonged hours of computer use,writing,etc?
Poor posture?
What is your occupation?
Have you tried muscle relaxant and any improvement with your symptoms?
Since how long have you been suffering from?
Headache?
Nausea,vomiting?
Blurred vision?
Alcohol and smoking?
Any other medical history?
Lack of sleep?
Are you taking any medications?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I dont have any numbness. I am an artist and work on a computer painting digitally. Ive had lower back pains in the past due to poor posture and ive fixed that, so that is no longer an issue.

The muscle relaxant didnt have any improvement on my symptoms. Ive never had dizziness my whole life. This is the first time, its been going on for three days. I do smoke quite a bit...but i stopped since i noticed the dizziness. No alcohol. Ive been getting up to 8 hours of sleep a night. Before i got the dizziness i had a headache on the top of my head..and a GP told me it was from tension and that i should sleep more. And then after i got enough sleep the head ache went away. I went to the gym in the morning and when i cam back home i was dizzy and have been dizzy since. Im not taking any other medications

Thanks for providing more information.
As you describe,possible causes may include
Cervical spondylosis.

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo(BPPV) usually last a few seconds to a few minutes and are intermittent (i.e., come and go) as a result of a change in position of head.

Orthostatic postural hypotension(drop in blood pressure due to change in position resulting in decreased blood supply) may cause such symptoms.

As your pain is not relieving with muscle relaxant so you shouldn't ignore your symptoms and consult your regular doctor for a clinical examination.
Further blood pressure monitoring,X-ray/MRI of cervical spine,serum blood sugar levels should be done in your case.
You should try OTC Meclizine which relieves dizziness.
Also do steam inhalation.
Even eat frequent small meals throughout the day.
Keep yourself hydrated with plenty of fluids and Gatorade.
Physical therapy can be effective in your case.Pprolonged hours use of computer can sore neck and shoulder muscles,dizziness.
So i suggest you to take short breaks of rest while doing work.
Try to find a cervical pillow which will change how your head is being cradled by the pillow
Do deep massage on neck and shoulders is also helpful.
Do neck strengthening exercises as well.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.