Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Cleaning an mercury affected container

Cleaning an mercury affected container.  Can absorb into a person's skin?

Hi--can you tell me a little more please--what was it exactly that was being cleaned and in what environment as in a closed room?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A 20 foot container we have obtained has had mercury in it and we need to know how is must be cleaned and if mercury can be absorb through the skin. I have no furhter info than that, it was all I was asked to find out. I hope this information will help further. Many thanks-Suze

Just to check here Suze--basically all the obvious liquid mercury has been emptied from the container?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. First off, so long as you use vinyl gloves and perhaps a plastic jacket to cover your arms, the mercury won't get onto your skin and can't be absorbed. The real danger is inhalation of mercury fumes so this should be done outdoors or in a well ventilated area. If there are any beads of mercury you can see, you use a cloth or a paper towel to bring them all together into one blob and use an eye dropper to suck up the liquid. The mercury should be placed in a plastic bag and really you should take that to your city waste disposal department for them to dispose of it properly.