How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 26383
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Cleaning an mercury affected container

This answer was rated:

Cleaning an mercury affected container.  Can absorb into a person's skin?

Hi--can you tell me a little more please--what was it exactly that was being cleaned and in what environment as in a closed room?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A 20 foot container we have obtained has had mercury in it and we need to know how is must be cleaned and if mercury can be absorb through the skin. I have no furhter info than that, it was all I was asked to find out. I hope this information will help further. Many thanks-Suze

Just to check here Suze--basically all the obvious liquid mercury has been emptied from the container?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


OK. First off, so long as you use vinyl gloves and perhaps a plastic jacket to cover your arms, the mercury won't get onto your skin and can't be absorbed. The real danger is inhalation of mercury fumes so this should be done outdoors or in a well ventilated area. If there are any beads of mercury you can see, you use a cloth or a paper towel to bring them all together into one blob and use an eye dropper to suck up the liquid. The mercury should be placed in a plastic bag and really you should take that to your city waste disposal department for them to dispose of it properly.
Dr. Chip and other Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Health Questions