Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I am concerned because after my mri for the thoracic spine

Customer Question

I am concerned because after my mri for the thoracic spine the radiologist recommended a radioactive bone scan
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.
What are your current symptoms?
Arthritis?
Since how long have you been suffering from?
Are you taking any medications?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had severe back pain and couldn't walk. I now have pain in my knees down. The MRI said enhancing foci in the left pedicle and left pars as well as hypointense signals. I have a history neurological problems.

Thanks for providing more information.
I understand your concern.
As per your MRI reports,such enhancing foci suggests calcification which can be caused due to degenerative changes.
However as your doctor has advised radioactive bone scan which usually helps in detecting the extent of such calcification and malignancy.
Such radioactive bone scan is safe if it's your first time exposure to radioactive agent.
So further a clinical correlation of your investigations findings with your current symptoms by your doctor should be considered.
If you are still worrying then it's good to consult your Orthopedist before performing bone scan.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am mostly concerned because the hypointense signal I understood isn't good to see and it is in T9 to T11. Is the pars and pedicle where it is bone?

Such hypointense signals from T9 to T11 refers to the way the bone marrow lights up on the scan, and this is usually considered normal.
However it can also suggest the possibility of bone cyst or metastasis.

Hypertense signals are more of clinically significant so you should just confirm it again.
And it's good to see your doctor for a clinical correlation.
However if you have unusual neurological symptoms then further a clinical examination by a neurologist should be considered.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. MRI states T2 hyperintense in the left pars and pedicle and T1 hypointense in the left pars and pedicle that are more ill defined than last MRI. Very concerned about this finding.

Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.
I am DR. BORA and I am trained in MRI reading.

Can you tell me if ou suffered any injury on your back lately when this MRI was done?

Does the MRI report indicate any size of these findings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No injury and the most recent MRI was done in May and that is when the radiologist stated to have a radioactive bone scan or another MRI in 3 months. It was seen in T9 - T11. Original MRI over a year ago only showed it in one area and now it is more ill defined in pars and pedicle in those areas.

The pars and pedicle are small parts of bone on the vertebral spine that can show such changes when there is injury like a fall. But uncommonly such MRI signals which are "ill defined" is subject to speculation as it may be seen in metastasis (secondary cancer deposit), multiple myeloma, bone infection.
However, an MRi study is non sufficient to infer if the above possibilities are indeed 100% specific. This is where the radionuclide bone scan has a great role to play as a diagnostic tool. If the bone scan findings are consistent with metastasis or multiple myeloma, you will need laboratory correlation as well. A bone scan or a much more expensive study like a PET scan is almost diagnostic of such MRI findings to discriminate a benign pathology like bone infection , old fracture from cancerous deposits.
So, I agree with your doctor that you should get the radionuclide scan done.

I hope I did not scare you but I just wanted to be clear about the MRI findings .

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you! Bonuses would be appreciated.
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Thanks.

God be with you.

For new or follow up questions, please request me as Dr. Bora in the opening statement of the question.