Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

Recently any chicken that I eat has a burnt taste to me, why?

Recently any chicken that I eat has a burnt taste to me, why? last night I had corned beef and it had the burnt taste also. But all other foods seem fine like steak, vegetables, fruits etc.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 11 months ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Do you have any medical conditions or take any medication?

Customer:

yes, I take diovan hct for high blood pressure, indomethacin 25mg for the inflammation in my back(5 back surgeries), lovaza, folic acid, and Norvasc.

Dr Brims :

Have you started taking any of them recently?

Customer:

no

Customer:

I have been tested for diabetes and I was borderline, but I have lost 60lbs since

Dr Brims :

Any dry mouth?

Customer:

no

Dr Brims :

Okay, possible causes could be acid reflux, hypothyroidism or sjorgrens syndrome

Dr Brims :

I would first have acid reflux ruled out

Dr Brims :

Dehydration and vitamin deficiencies could also cause it

Customer:

I never seem to have heart burn or acid reflux unless I have a very spicy food

Dr Brims :

It may occur when you sleep and you would never know

Customer:

I drink a lot of water but the vitamin definciency could be right because my sister has had extensive personal testing and she has a vitamin d deficiency as do I. Its not absorbed properly

Dr Brims :

Okay, then that may be the cause

Customer:

could it be zinc also

Dr Brims :

Yes, it could be due to vitamin deficiency or minerals like zinc

Customer:

why would only certain foods taste burnt as soon as they touch my tongue

Dr Brims :

That is likely from the make up of the foods

Customer:

everything I read said the everything tasted burnt

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry, can you clarify your last question?

Customer:

I seems as though its getting worse and more foods are starting to taste burnt

Dr Brims :

That may be due to the deficiency getting worse

Customer:

sorry, I meant that everything that I read about the burnt taste seemed to be experienced on all the foods.

Customer:

ok, where would I start as far as vitamin deficiency and how to figure out which one

Dr Brims :

To determine which one you would have to have blood tests, if you want to avoid that then you can try taking a multivitamin and drinking plenty of water daily

Customer:

I forgot to mention that I take centrum daily.

Customer:

and drink a lot of water because I work in the heat

Dr Brims :

Okay, then the blood test is the only definitive answer to diagnose the exact cause

Customer:

what test should I have and how much should it cost?

Dr Brims :

You should start with a complete metabolic profile, it cost about $60

Customer:

ok, what would be the second and third tests if I decide to try and figure it out without having to go back again and again

Dr Brims :

Sorry, I did not see your last reply

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Dr Brims :

I replied with Calcium, zinc, copper, magnesium and nickel

Customer:

yes, just grabbed some veggies

Customer:

ok, thank you

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience