Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have suddenly started getting terrible panic attacks. I was

I have suddenly started getting terrible panic attacks. I was put on citlopram 20mg. After 3 days I had an attack that seemed to last 48 hours. I went to a and e and got given a short dose of diazepan of 2mg, but I am still experiencing terrible symptoms. I am not sure whether the citlopram is making it worse and to cut down the dose.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Citalopram should not make it worse

Dr Brims :

But it may take 7-10 days before it starts helping

Dr Brims :

If it does not help within 2 weeks, then the dose should be increased or you should be switched to another medication like effexor

Customer:

Thank you. I have more severe anxiety than depression and I was not sure whether the antidepressant was making it worse but there is so much information online saying to stick with it. I am having terrrible sweating and body jolts. How long will it take to settle down? I am on day 6. I need the diazapam but am running out because I was only given a few. How will effexor differ?

Dr Brims :

It may take up to14 days to settle down

Dr Brims :

effexor is a different drug, it is not more effective but it is different, and is a good alternative if citalopram does not work

Dr Brims :

to 14 days*

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes

Dr Brims :

Are you having problems with the system? It seemed to take a long time to respond

Customer:

No I was just thinking. I think you have given me all the information you can. I will just have to bare with it and hope it subsides eventually. At its worse it is a life not worth living.

Dr Brims :

I am sorry you feel so poorly

Dr Brims :

Have you been on citalopram for depression as well and has it helped?

Customer:

I have always been an anxious person and have suffered from depression in the past but not really been on medication before like this. This is worse than depression because there is no way of knowing when the attacks are going to come and the symptoms are so physical you cannot have any control over them. I have had a lot of stress in my life in recent years and I believe it has built up to this but I never expected this to happen and I do not know whether I have now got it for life. If I have I would not want to live like this.

Dr Brims :

I understand, try not to lose hope, there are many other medications you may try if citalopram does not work, but give citalopram some time, it may still help you

Customer:

Thank you for your help and understanding. Goodbye.

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Dr Brims :

If you still have questions please feel free to ask

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions on this topic you may click a rating button to end this chat session