Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

My mother was diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer with

My mother was diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer with no metastasis two years ago. This was isolated in the lower lobe of her right lung. She had a lobectomy and made a full recovery, albeit a difficult one. Last week, she had a follow up CAT scan which showed "an 11mm nodule in the right upper lobe with spiculated margins concerning for recurrent neoplasm. A calcified subcentimeter granuloma is seen in the right apical region, while areas of scarring in the right middle lobe and right lower lobe remain stable." Her surgeon recommends a repeat CAT scan in 4 months. (!?!) Mom is an otherwise relatively healthy 80 year old woman. Thoughts??? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Customer:

Thanks, Doc!

Dr Brims :

Has she seen a pulmonologist?

Dr Brims :

Does she take any medication?

Customer:

Not recently. All of her post-surgical care has been with the surgeon who did the lobectomy. She is in on quite a bit of different meds, the names which are not available to me at this moment.

Dr Brims :

Okay, the surgeon wants to wait 4 months to determine if the nodule is cancerous or not, which is reasonable, if it is cancer he will have to remove the affected lobe

Dr Brims :

Another test that may help is a PET scan, it will aid in determining if the nodule is cancerous

Customer:

Does it seem unreasonable to wait for 4 months or would potential for metastasis grow exponentially with each passing week?

Dr Brims :

It is not unreasonable to wait 4 months, there would not likely be significant metastasis within that time

Customer:

I was also under the impression that it would be unusual to conduct another lung surgery for recurrent cancer. Is this your experience as well?

Dr Brims :

No, if it is cancer then the ONLY definitive treatment is surgery, chemotherapy and radiation do not usually cure lung cancer

Customer:

Thanks very much for your insight! Very much appreciated...

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience