Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have a question in regards XXXXX XXXXX stool color. Over the last

I have a question in regards XXXXX XXXXX stool color. Over the last few days it has been very inconsistent. Sometimes its brown or dark brown, other times its tan/yellow. Its always formed and sinks. Im very scared however because i have had a pain in my left rib cage that i can also feel down the left side of my abodmen, almost on the side of my body. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy in March, along with blood tests on my pancreas and liver. Also had a physical exam and everything came back normal. Can anyone give me peace of mind?
Hi--first off can I ask why you had the endoscopies?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was having some stomach trouble with too much acid and the GI just wanted to make sure nothing else was wrong.

OK--were you screened for H pylori, the so-called ulcer bug? And as to the stool color, any relationship to what you eat?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The doctor said i did not have any ulcers. I do not have the best diet in the world, but im not sure if it could be that. Im just scared i have something really wrong with me.

OK--but hang in there for me a little longer. Wasn't saying you had ulcers but were you screened specifically for H pylori? And how was your stomach acid problem treated?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not recall being screened for that. The stomach acid was never really treated. It was more of a reaction to taking too many motrin. Since i have stoped taking it, i have been fine when it comes to the aspect of that problem.

OK--just wanted to get all the information first. First off, nothing very serious here. It may be that you're having some bouts of irritable bowel syndrome which really doesn't show up on endoscopies or other tests. When your stool is more tannish or yellow than dark brown it means that the transit time--the speed that things move through the intestines--is speeded up a bit and some digestion is a little incomplete. It especially happens with fats in the diet. With IBS there can be some abdominal cramping and discomfort. I really don't think this is going to be a long time problem with you but you might consider a nutrient dense diet with fresh green and leafy veggies and fruits, nuts, coconut milk, tofu or tempeh, and only three servings per week of lean meats, poultry and fish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should i be concerned about the pain at all? Also, if there was something wrong with my pancreas and or liver, the blood work would have shown something back in March right?

I think the pain is just bowel spasm and nothing more and yes, any problem with your pancreas or liver would have shown up on the tests