Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.

Hi I had prot sex one week ago. Within 3 days I have fever,

Hi I had prot sex one week ago. Within 3 days I have fever, sore throat, swollen throat glands . Generally feeling unwell. Doctor gave me clarithromycin. Helps but early each morning still feeling bad until next tablst kicks in. I am fearful I have an STD. Can you advise please?

Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 7 months ago.

medtech254 :

It is unlikely to develop symptoms within 3 days as the incubation is longer than that with the common stds and much longer with some (weeks). If you transmitted a std you would not have symptoms yet.

medtech254 :

But

medtech254 :

You may have gotten something infectious like a bacterial infection, strep throat, sinus infection, etc.

medtech254 :

Almost all of the stds start with symptoms in the genital region and not general sore throat and fever.

medtech254 :

Are u there?

medtech254 :

It looks like you are having problems with the chat page so I will switch to q&a.

Customer:

it is now over a week and these symptoms persist even with the antibiotic. Is that to be expected please?

Customer:

Thanks

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
Expert:  Chris C. replied 7 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Chris C. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi my wife is complaining of a sore throat and headache and this morning. I have had no sexual relations with her recently. Could I have passed on this infection please?

Thanks

Expert:  Chris C. replied 7 months ago.

Yes this is quite possible but since it is not related to any sexual contact and is likely a common infection she should not suspect anything happened. She should be checked out but this is likely a simple strep throat or similar infection. When she gets checked out there should be no discussion of your sexual activities. This time of the year sinus infections are quite common and spread easily as well as other common infections not related to sexual contact.

Chris C., Nurse
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi - nauseousness and cough are new symptoms. It has been over a week since I had this sex. I am very worried. I have only a few days clarithromycin left, and they do not seem to be helping. If it is not an std how long should this condition persist please?

Expert:  Chris C. replied 7 months ago.
The dr most likely prescribed the antibiotic for the red sore throat and nothing more. Since this has progressed to cough and nausea it is best to get back in with the dr. The symptoms you are having and short time since your sexual encounter would rule out an std. This is likely a simple infection that can be treated with a different antibiotic. I know you are concerned that you may have gotten an std but your symptoms are not what would be expected with an std. Also, your wife is having some similar symptoms and you have had no sexual contact with her so that further reinforces that this is just an infection and not an std.
Chris C., Nurse