Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hello, My wife and I had our medical insurance run out

My wife and I had our medical insurance run out on the 15th, and now we are scrambling to pay for medicines that she takes. I am wondering if you might know of an alternative to Prestiq? She is taking 50 MG once a day, and it is only name brand and it is $190 for 30 days.
Hi. Is Prestiq the only medication she's had for that problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, several have been tried in the past, but this one seems to be working. She also takes Seriquil which is a very expensive medicine. Any thought on alternatives would be appreciated.

OK--but it would help to know what other meds she's tried in the past.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has been on this for the longest. Before the correct diagonisis she had been on lithium, welbutrin, and celebrix that she remembers

I assume you mean Celexa? What about Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, or klonipin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I read this list to her, and she said she has been on all of those. She is thinking that it is so expensive for Prestiq, that she might just go off meds. She is on many psych meds (Prestiq, Seriquil, Advant, Remron, Valium) What would happen if that were the case?

Just one question--with all those other meds, why exactly did she need to have the Prestiq?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She saw a psychiatrist in Florida before we moved to NY and he tried some different meds, and found that this combination seems to work the best.

Well, she would definitely need to slowly wean off the meds she's on now because of significant withdrawal problems if she went off cold turkey and of course no treatment for her conditions adding to that. Are you not going to be able to afford any of those medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is our concern. The Prestiq is $190 and I have been told that the Seriquil os over $1000. There is no way we can afford those prices.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you know of any programs that could help with medications?

Has she at least discussed the problem with her psychiatrist? And has she considered applying for Medicaid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We do not have a psychiatrist here in NY. Sloan Kettring and her GP have been helping with prescriptions. She did have medicaid at one time in Fl. before we moved to NY last year. I am trying to help get that tranferred to NY

How exactly helping with the prescriptions--just providing the prescriptions? And does Sloan Kettering or her GP know about your financial problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, they are providing the prescriptions based on records from the psych that was furnished when we got here. She has not been to either Sloan or the GP since the insurance ended. I am a teacher and thought that I would be hired by this point at another school.

My wife has been diagnosed as bipolar by the psych in Fl. and she and I are very concerned.

OK. I'm afraid there isn't an economical replacement for the Pristiq, Remeron, or the Seroquel. She definitely needs to start a slow wean from those, but that should be under the direction of a physician. I have two suggestions, though. If you contact the pharmaceutical companies that make those medications, they do have a patient assistance program based on your financial status, and, if you qualify, she can get those medications for free. The other option is a prescription assistance card and I found three links for you on that

I hope that helps and sorry I don't have any more thoughts on your problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for all your help.