Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I am a 63 yr old male in relatively great health. I have worked

I am a 63 yr old male in relatively great health. I have worked overly hard, heavy and fast all my life so my body feeling a few ache and pains that I take hydrocordone for as needed for pain in my neck and back that My doc says to stay on verses surgury. I generally only take 1 a day in the morning if I am expecting to have a day of heavy physical labor or if I am hurting from a previous days work. 500mg. I have always been slim and trim most of my life at6'5" 195 to 205 lbs. Because of narrowing disc in my back I now am down to 6'. At the age of 59 I fell in love and changed my whole life style to be compatable with my new girl. Before I drank a12 pack of beer a day or more,smoked a pack or more a day,lived on meat and potatoes. No fruits or raw vegges. Ate 4 to 5 big fatty meals a day and slept around 3 to 4 hrs. I felt good. Now I feel better but I am skinny in apperance. I stopped smoking, drinking alcohol, fatty foods ,most meat. I'm eating all the right stuff now and take all the right supplements, and get 8 to 10hrs sleep. I am stronger than before, have more energy but I weigh now 150. That was my freshman high school weight. My ? is how can I gain back 30lbs and still eat healthy.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 months ago.

Hello Dave,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

You may consider these high calorie foods which are healthy and are likely to increase your weight;

1) Dry fruits; a cup of mixed dried fruits totals up to around 335 calories, while one fourth cup of dried raisins is 108 calories.
2) Natural Yoghurt With Honey, Greek Style, one 150g pot has 243kcals.
3) Nuts and seeds; they are rich in calories and good fat. These also contain antioxidants. Half a cup of almonds contains about 400 calories, while the same amount of macadamia nuts is closer to 475 calories.
4) Bananas
5) Mangoes
6) Peanut butter: just one Teaspoon/10g carries 62 calories.
7) Avocados are high calorie with good fat,
8) Breakfast Cereal 50 gms can give your around 180 calories and is healthy.
9) Canned coconut milk.
10) High calories protein shakes.

All these are likely to gain the weight and get your target of 30lbs in around 4-6 months. You may consider thyroid function tests as an high thyroid may be responsible for not gaining weight (or loss of weight).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for this good info. Now I need to know how much of this stuff should I eat every day? Do I need to have a min. # XXXXX calories to start gaining? I think I should eat at least 300 calories every 3 hrs during awake hrs. as well as eat regular meals. Is this right? People that have known me a long time tell me I look much healther now than when I weighed 190 or 215 but when I look in the mirror I see is a shriveled up old man with saggy skin. I feel healthyer but really look sick.

Hello Dave,

You need around 500 calories per day to gain one pound or 1000 calories per day to gain 2 pounds per week. Thus apart from meals you need to take around 200 calories more every three waking hours. So you can take the food we discussed accordingly.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)