NURSE KAREN
NURSE KAREN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  REGISTERED NURSE WITH MANY AREAS OF CLINICAL EXPERTISE
67785362

93 year old female hospitalized one month ago for urinary tract

93 year old female hospitalized one month ago for urinary tract infection and uncontrolled hypertension. Systolics were running in excess of 210. Main overt symptom was dizziness and loss of balance. Took five days to get the blood pressure under control. UTI was treated with intravenous antibiotics. No antibiotics by mouth were given on discharge. Last week medications (she takes about six) were upgraded by a local physician when blood pressure noted to be 165 over 68. Another episode of dizziness in the middle of last night. Blood Pressure via cuff on left and right wrist this morning (at Walgreen's) was 170/70 and 162/70. Rode 40 miles in a car this afternoon and has experienced poor balance and some dizziness. Should we be looking at this as another UTI?
ALL INFORMATION IS GIVEN FOR EDUCATIONAL AND INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
PLEASE UNDERSTAND NO ONE CAN DIAGNOSE OR TREAT A MEDICAL CONDITION ONLINE.
**********************************************************************
HI. Thanks for the question.
It is certainly possible that she is having another UTI, it really sounds as if her symptoms are more blood pressure related--even when describing her symptoms at the initial hospitalization is sounds as if the BP problems were causing her symptoms, more so than the UTI.

That being said the UTI itself (if in the kidney) can actually cause the increase in her blood pressure, so I think it would be prudent to have a urine sample checked, especially since she has a history of increased BP and UTI.

If her BP was under control and then she has had a sudden increase (causing the MD to increase her BP meds)one would think that doctor should have checked her urine, but if not, I would suggest you have someone check it ASAP--a kidney infection, especially in a person of her age, can cause some very serious problems if not treated quickly.
If you have further questions, please ask.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Hope things are working out for you. Let me know if I can help you in the future!!

THANK YOU,
NURSE KAREN