Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a random question about possible but unlikely rabies

I have a random question about possible but unlikely rabies exposure?

When driving to work I passed by a dead skunk in the median. The blood was still red not brown, and it was smashed open, not intact. When I got to work I examined my car, and found nothing wet on the outside. I caught a whiff of skunk around my car though, so something presumably made contact with my car. 8 hours later when I was going to leave I found no skunk smell. I checked inside my door for anything that was wet, and found nothing. I checked the outside of my car and found nothing suspicious. As I was driving I thought that I felt something in my eye. I pulled into a parking lot and I poured water from a water bottle into my eye. The first time I did this though, the water hit that portion of the lower door that isn't quite outside and isn't quite inside. It's the portion on the bottom of the door frame where you put your feet getting in. I felt sprinkles of water on my face. I immediately got out of my car into the parking lot to rinse my eyes out again. I drove for a bit and found that the water I spilled on the door was dry after 15 minutes of driving. This is similar to the time I passed the skunk and got to work. When I got home I took a shower, and rinsed my eyes out again. I accidentally rubbed my eyes too. I am afraid of something under the eye lid that I did not rinse out.

I am worried that even though I inspected the door, that there may have been some tissue or something on it. It seems unlikely since that portion of the inner door is behind a rubber seal, but it is open to the elements on the ends, and the seal is not that strong. That was the side of the car that I passed the skunk on.

I had a vaccine a year ago, but I am told if you are exposed again you need a booster.
I don't want to do something silly. Yes I know repeatedly washing one's eye out is silly, and probably more likely to get sick from.

Is this an appreciable exposure?

Thanks

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Thanks for the detailed description.

mysticdoc :

This does not constitute as an exposure to the rabies.

mysticdoc :

there is no noticeable tissue any where.

mysticdoc :

And splashing of water is not a risk factor.

mysticdoc :

there is no direct blood or saliva or brain tissue contact

Customer:

Sorry about the question. I am an Engineer who is trying to overcome OCD. Every day is like exposure therapy.

Customer:

What do brains look like. I found a dried puddle of what I thought was soap. I take it brains do not flow.

mysticdoc :

no that is not brain.

mysticdoc :

brain tissues will like white tissue with blood stain

Customer:

Thanks you

mysticdoc :

you do not need to worry.

mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

https://pearl.etherapi.com/connectme/152