Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have been taking 6 fioricet without codeine for 1 year now.

I have been taking 6 fioricet without codeine for 1 year now. (I have jaw, neck, and shoulder muscle spasms) I only have 4 pills left and can't get a refill until Monday. Will I have extreme withdrawal effects from this? I plan to take one in the morning and one at night until Monday. I also take .25 mg of lorazepam for insomnia at bedtime. Otherwise just meclizine for dizziness from my headaches caused by the muscle spasms as needed.
Hi. I don't think you'll have severe withdrawal problems with this. YOu may have some anxiety and some insomnia problems. You may also have headaches. That said, if one were to completely stop Fioricet suddenly there is a risk of seizures. Although I don't think that would be a problem for you, I strongly advise you not drive until you can refill your prescription
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have less than I thought so it would be more like going from 6 to 1 per day for 2 days. I am very scared of having a seizure. Does increase my risk more?

So long as you can take it each day there still wouldn't be much of a risk. If a seizure were going to occur with suddenly stopping cold turkey, it usually wouldn't occur until about five to seven days after quitting
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been experiencing a lot of dizziness. Is this common side effect of withdrawing from fioricet. It is making me very nausous. the headache has been too bad so far, but the the dizziness is horrible. Is there anything I can do to help ease that symptom?

Hi--when you say dizziness--as in spinning around? Is that something you've never had before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a little bit of both. Spinning somewhat, but more a feeling of falling over. I have been batteling dizziness for a while. They think it may be MAV (migraine associated vertigo) with some cervical vertigo but my headache is not really bad. However my neck muscles are in spasm right now with not being able to take the fioricet to help relax them. But walking is a huge difficulty and when i do i feel like i may throw up.

Does the meclizine help with this now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

only a little bit i took 2 meclizine this morning but it only helped a small amount. I have been trying not to move as any motion makes me more dizzy.

And you've taken one Fioricet today?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes one today and one left for tomorrow

OK--I think that this is a case of the partial withdrawal from the Fioricet combining with your neck and migraine problem being somewhat exacerbated. I think you'll be OK until you can get your refill but obviously for now you need to play things safe and not drive or do anything where the dizziness and loss of balance may get you injured.