Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

ive lived with dogs my whole life, several types of breeds,

i've lived with dogs my whole life, several types of breeds, and never been allergic. still have a sheltie and saint bernard right now. but now a manchester terrier that we got from an animal shelter is giving me itchy bumps, they look like medium-size bug bites, that cover any parts of my skin that touches him. the bumps go away after 10-15 mins of not touching him. he sleeps on my pillow and sheets during the day and i don't get a reaction from that when i sleep at night. any idea what's causing this reaction, or what i should try to stop them?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 7 months ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how many days are you having these symptoms?
Have you undergone any tests so far?
Do you have nasal allergy other then skin allergy from dog meaning that do you have any symptoms like cough,nasal congestion,sneezing etc?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

It's been almost 2 weeks since we got him. Every time i touch him i get the bumps, very itchy, but they go away quickly so i'm not overly concerned with it, just annoyed; hence i haven't paid for any tests. No nasal allergies either.

Dear customer,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Yes,it is common that some dog breeds trigger allergy symptoms while others don't.Pet allergens are proteins, which when in contact with the skin cause an allergic reaction that provokes the body into producing histamine.

The symptoms you have described are suggestive of skin disease known as eczema(Dermatitis).

A hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) occurs in the skin, causing inflammation. The inflammation causes the skin to become reddish & itchy.

You need following tests:

-Elimination-type tests
-Radioallergosorbent test (RAST)
-Skin biopsy
-Antinuclear antibody(ANA) tests
-CD4/CD8 Ratio (Immune System Analysis)

You need to avoid this breed of dog.Staying away from dogs is the best way to limit exposure to their allergens and reduce the symptoms.Avoiding the allergy-causing animal as much as possible is the best treatment.

For confirmation you need to consult your allergist doctor.
Till then take tablet benadryl once a day.Apply cream containing hydrocortisone.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Hi JA customer,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor?
Have you avoided that dog breed ?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles