911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I suffered multiple bilateral pulmonary embolism two months

I suffered multiple bilateral pulmonary embolism two months ago. My heart of course was affected and I had an echocardiogram in the hospital. I had a followup echo a week ago. My pulmonologist's office called and said the echo was "unremarkable". However, I got a copy of the report and there are some things listed that seem like problems, likely mild, but that maybe warrant a cardiac consult or observation? The findings that I question are: "There is mild to moderate mitral regurgitation." "There is mild tricuspid regurgitation." "Mild to moderate aortic regurgitation." "Mild pulmonic valvular regurgitation." There is mild concentric left ventricular hypertrophy."

To me it sounds like my valves aren't quite right. Or, could that just be a normal variant for someone my age (54)? Or could it be something that will resolve once I am healed from the embolism? When I look up the regurgitation, even on the American Heart Association site it is listed as a valid problem that sometimes, when severe (I know mine's not) requires surgery. I just want to understand what is going on.

911Doctor :

great question

911Doctor :

do you have high blood pressure? are you treated for it?

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat

911Doctor :

I will be back when you are able to respond

Customer: I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was a chat with this service. My blood pressure has been controlled for years and today was 116/74. I take Lisinopril 20mg and HCTZ 25mg.
911Doctor :

okay

911Doctor :

do you have any other medical problems besides the recent pulmonary emboli?

911Doctor :

any prior surgery?

911Doctor :

any prior heart problems?

911Doctor :

finally, do you exercise?

Customer:

I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, under care of rheumatologist. I have high cholesterol/triglycerides which my endocrinologist calls "metobolic syndrome".

Customer:

Prior surgery -

911Doctor :

okay

Customer:

anal fissure 2011, uterine ablation and tumor removal 2008, gallbladder 1993

911Doctor :

okay

Customer:

have had a "murmur" for as long as I can remember, but not under any care. advised to premedicate before dental work

911Doctor :

okay

Customer:

I do not exercise regularly, although since the emboli I have started walking

Customer:

as part of my recovery

Customer:

can't do alot yet

911Doctor :

okay

911Doctor :

so the pulmonologists office did not tell you incorrectly that your study was 'unremarkable'... you DO have valvular problems and your left ventricle is a bit large

911Doctor :

but this is no change for you based on the previous study

911Doctor :

none of these findings are due to the pulmonary emboli

911Doctor :

but

911Doctor :

that being said

911Doctor :

these valuvular abnormalities will need to be checked over time to make sure they are stable

911Doctor :

they are what causes your murmur

911Doctor :

are you there?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

that is what I thought, that the valve issues should likely just be "observed". I am considering establishing myself with a cardiologist, but I didn't know if I was just overreacting.

911Doctor :

no, you are not over reacting

911Doctor :

I think it would be reasonable for you to establish yourself with a cardiologist

Customer:

okay

911Doctor :

the ventricular hypertrophy along with the valvular abnormalities probably warrants a cardiologist for your care

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

thank you

911Doctor :

you are most welcome

Customer:

you have answered my question very well

911Doctor :

do you have any further questions for me?

Customer:

no, I think that is all

Customer:

thanks again

911Doctor :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

Customer:

I will definitely leave feedback