Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hi doctor, back again i need to talk to someone. As you

Hi doctor, back again i need to talk to someone.

As you can see from my posts i suffer severe severe anxiety over hodgkins lymphoma.

I feel so alone and can't cope.

I have spoke to so many doctors on here who have assured me that i do not have it.

i have visited almost ten GPs, had six CBCs two LDH , two CRP , thyroids, esr, lft, chest x ray. physical examination over the past 19months

Would my results have shown something abnormal by now?

would i be unwell by 19 months, some say hospitalized?
Hi--I've looked at your other posts. Can I just ask what your doctors have said to you when you tell them you think you have Hodgkin's?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they have said that " there is no way i have cancer " " no chance of hodgkins"

OK--let me ask you this--have you considered having therapy for this obsessive worry over lymphoma?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No doctor,

to be honest i am embarassed about the whole situation.

I have let it completley take over my life.

Do you think it will work?

i know it sounds crazy and probably typical with someone with anxiety but i do not think this is all in my head.

I have even resorted to private tests to avoid asking my doctor.

OK--just to recap--what were the symptoms you had that made you suspect Hodgkin's and do you still have them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the pain with alcohol

from march 2012. i have stopped alcohol

i have put on 8 pounds since january

The pain with alcohol? Can you tell me what you mean by that and why that made you think of lymphoma?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay,

i have a bad habit of looking up things on the internet. I read somewhere that was a sign of hodgkins disease.

When i drink alcohol , the next usually evening my neck shoulders chest area feel sore and bruised. I was in Australia at the time and went to see a GP he had not really heard of it and sent me for a chest x ray and told me he would do all the bloods they consider with lymphoma.

everything was fine i have from 17/04/2012

CRP- 1mg/l

Total protein 78

albumin 42

globulin 36

bilirubin 6

Alk phos 99

AST 17

ALT 18

Gamma gt 21

LDH 170

ferritin 41

haemoglobin 136

Red cell 4.5

MCV 89

White cell 12.1

platelets 361

esr 8

as of december 2012 .

wbc 6.1

crp 3

Well it sounds as though you may have developed an allergy to alcohol and nothing more. In looking over your labs above and your other posts, I fully agree that there is absolutely no indication that you have lymphoma. Don't be embarrassed, though, about all this. You've just developed and obsessive/compulsive anxiety disorder. I'd strongly suggest you get therapy with a psychologist expert at cognitive behavioral therapy--it involves taking your fearsome thoughts and working through them and learning how to argue with yourself and showing yourself the illogical thought patterns that lead to your fear of a lymphoma that you don't even have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr Chip

I am willing to give that a try.

If you were my family GP you wouldnt be inclined to run any further tests? and would be satisfied with my health.

My GP told me last July she was confident i was a perfectly healthy girl , I have not returned she would be shocked to know a year later i am still stressing i guess.

This reaction to alcohol can just occur? I fully understand google is not the answer and my GP explained Hodgkins isnt the only explanation, even though the internet makes this out to be.

Im sorry i do not have more recent blood results these are print outs from my time in Australia, but they are more extensive than what i have had done here.

The only thing keeping me positive is that i have weight gain unfortunately and Dr Amir on here explained that no chance of lymphoma with weight gain.

As i write these all down it makes sense , i dont even have any swollen nodes to my knowledge just the normal ones everyone can feel. i have even went as far as asking my Grandmother a nurse to feel them a couple of times per week.

I will try not to be embarassed its really difficult hiding this all to myself .

Let me just ask one more question--this only happened after you drank alcohol and how long did it last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i think so , only if i drink lots

i get similar symptoms with an anxiety attack

going to my gp tomorrow too make an appoitment with the councillor

OK. It may only be just a hangover syndrome but obviously it's from the alcohol and nothing else. You definitely need to stay away from Googling symptoms--that can scare the bejeesus out of people and without medical training you can't separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. I'm sure you're physically fine and please do get to a counselor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr chip , you have made me feel better about this.

That has exactly been my MAJOR concern since March 2012, i wanted to make sure it was only from alcohol and that there was nothing else going on

I am not bothered if i have an issue with alcohol so to speak, its best to avoid drinking anyway my issue that it was something very very sinister underneath that now after 19 months , i am frightened to death if it is something i have left it too long.

You are right about google its ridiculous how i go off in a tangent when i dont have any medical qualifications whatsoever!

Well, lot's of people do the Google thing--human curiosity is a powerful force. I think you'll be just fine after you get some CBT therapy. You really need to let all this go and get on with living your life.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr for your knowledge and advice.

I really appreciate your time to chat with me.

Hopefully i can sleep easy from now on,

My pleasure, dear--call on me any time you need to
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi doctor

Thank you for checking in I am doing okay and trying to get on with my life as best as I can without this lymphoma worry

Thanks for the assurance and advice
My pleasure but keep me informed Louise
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doctor Chip !

Just thought i would update you on my situation as i really appreciated your help.

I went to my GP and explained my fears, she examined my lymphnodes and could not find anything suspicious?

I also have an appointment at the " doing well clinic" and i am avoiding alcohol.

Hopefully moving on with my life! :) Thanks again!

Louise

Great to hear Louise--please keep in touch
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doctor Chip , just checking in as I was made to feel better when talking to you.

I think we spoke about 3 months ago regarding my lymphoma fear-I still have it, but no new developments since we last spoke.....got to be a good thing?

just taking it day by day

kind regards

Hi again Louise. So no symptoms at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, nothing ! I have been avoiding alcohol and excercising to help my anxiety

Then again there's no need for worry. Of course, I never thought you had lymphoma in the first place.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lol thank you doctor I know you are right after all you are the doctor!

I went to my GP last week who knows im anxious and she checked the lymph nodes in my neck just for reassurance says everything is completely normal of course with lymphoma for 22 months she said I would have and i quote " huge nodes by now" that made me feel better.

I wish i was not so anxious

He's right and remind me--are you getting any treatment for your anxiety?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No , nothing yet I guess it was because I was convinced I had a dreadful illness and not anxiety.

I have been nervous to go on medication, as I have heard about side effects.

Not medication but cognitive behavioral therapy with a trained psychologist can be very effective for obsessive/compulsive disorders causing health anxiety--you should try it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay Dr,

thanks for contacting me back !

Hopefully this is the last time I need to talk to you ( in a good way)

Thanks for all your help!

Louise

My pleasure Louise--any time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi dr chip ,

Just as I was getting over my horrific lymphoma fear I have hit a hurdle . For the past few days I have Started to smell a smoke smell so I did what you told me not to . I googled .

I'm concinced I have a tumour now . This is ridiculous .

My rational side is telling me that I have been sneezing and have blocked sinus feeling for the past two days and this is thee reason ? My mum recently underway surgery for the same thing she has nasal polyps ? Is this genetic ?

I will pay you a great tip . I need some help

Thankyoh
Hi again Louise--can you tell me a bit more about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi doctor,

It is a strange sensation like i am smelling fire smoke but obviously no fire?

my mum recently had the same thing which is weird!

OK--nothing again to worry about. A brain tumor doesn't suddenly make you smell something that's not there like smoke. Quite often, blocked sinuses or sinus infections do affect the sense of smell. Polyps aren't genetic and even they don't suddenly cause this. But seriously--come to me before you Google medical things please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ah thankyou doctor chip , apologies for being so irrational there!

I have started cbt to get this anxiety under control i guess its not working yet lol!

Okay I see, i have a very " stuffy feeling" when I breathe in , this smoke smell has just been lingering about for two days! no headaches though.

Thankyou so much I will come to you in the future.

My pleasure Louise and it can take time and work on your part for CBT to be effective
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doctor Chip,

I hope you don't mind me contacting you, but I am feeling really down today, today marks my 2 years to the date that I started convincing myself I had hodgkins lymphoma,

I am really tired these days, could this be my anxiety? My therapy does not seem to be working for me.

Hi Louise. Have you seen your doctor about the fatigue? How's your sleeping? Have you talked to your doctor again about your lymphoma concern?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I have not yet, I wake up a lot during the night,not entirely sure why,

I have not been to my doctor for a while, as I feel seeking assurance is part of my problem. My doctor says im fine and perfectly healthy, this was a year ago right enough.

I understand. So are you still just as concerned about lymphoma?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To be honest I have my good days and bad days, I logically try and tell myself what a lot of doctors and others say, that two years is a long time and I would realistically be very ill by now if not deceased...?

And I worry about everything health related, so i know i am a complete hypochondriac!

I was thinking of going just as a routine visit , to maybe get some bloods done, to make sure everything is okay, that may put my mind at rest.

That probably would help but how exactly can I help you with this today?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Honestly, do you think I have anything to be concerned about? my main concern is if i do get diagnosed not a lot could be done for me..

So basically we're just concerned about one symptom--the fatigue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

pretty much , I don't feel any nodes i dont think

OK Louise--and we can go on after this if you'd like. No to the lymphoma. The fatigue could be from the sleep problem and your anxiety, but I would check you for anemia and for a low functioning thyroid. By this time, if you had lymphoma--which I never thought you did, it would have announced itself and wouldn't have stayed dormant
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr Chip for that, When you say announced itself you mean many more symptoms and it would be obvious that I was ill, I spoke to an oncologist who said that my lymphnodes would be like softballs by now this is why he knows i dont have it,

I must sound really frustrating as I am in no way undermining your position as a doctor, just wish I could accept and move on.

Thank you for your time once again.

Yes--you nodes would have obviously enlarged by now. I'm not at all insulted by your not being able to let it go just because I said so, Louise--I've got several other customers with the same problem you have. At least get some blood work to check on what I mentioned and I don't think that would be acting like a hypochondriac. Do keep in touch with me as often as you need
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr Chip you have been great!

Always a pleasure, Louise
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi doctor chip ! I hope you are well , i just wanted to update you since you have helped me out a lot over the past year .

I went to see my gp explaining my fears about lymphoma . She took some bloods and said it was a full blood count . It all came back as normal this morning . So I feel a bit relieved that nothing worrying is showing ?

Louise
Sounds good Louise