Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

My throat is really itchy and makes me cough. There is next

My throat is really itchy and makes me cough. There is next to no mucus. I cough until I throw up in my mouth. No home remedies or lozenges work. I cant sleep. Please help. Also sweating alot.

Dear customer,

I am Dr.Charles and I'm happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long you have this cough?

Is there sore throat?

Breathing discomfort?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The cough started tonight. But I felt abit sore for two days befire that. It is a very sore throat. I dont have a fever and the only breathing discomfort is when I breathe and it itches my throat so that I cough

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I've taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you have described can be due to viral infection. The itching in throat & severe cough you are having is most likely because of this infection.

Also there can be associated bronchitis.Acute bronchitis is generally caused by lung
infections; approximately 90% of these infections are viral in origin.

Following will help you greatly:

-Pour a 1/2 to a whole teaspoon of liquid diphenhydramine syrup into small medicine cup and gargle with it. Try to keep the syrup towards the back of your throat for as long as he can.

-Gargling with lukewarm saline water is one of the best remedies.

- Dry coughs are treated with cough suppressants also called antitussives.
Dextromethorphan, Diphenhydramine,codeine are the common one.Other cough
suppressants include simple linctus, glycerin and lemon and honey, which coat
and soothe the back of the throat. They are available as over the counter(OTC) without prescription.

-Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an
over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times
a day can provide dramatic relief..

If still the symptoms persists,then you need to consult your doctor as tests & examination will be required & hence the prescription medications will be prescribed accordingly.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions,please ask me - I'll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles