Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I was walking my dog very casually, on my way home, and it

Customer Question

I was walking my dog very casually, on my way home, and it felt like I got kicked in the left leg (just left of my shin bone) and now there is a giant bump and bruise. I WAS NOT KICKED!!! What happened? And do I need to go to the doctor??
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Is there any pain there at the site of giant bump?
Is there swelling? Redness?
Is the area hot or can you feel any warmth there?
Are you sure there is no injury?
Do you have any other previous known medical illness?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

--> Yes. Throbbing. Feels like a very sensitive bruise when touched.

Is there swelling? Redness?

--> slight swelling, no redness.

--> no real temperature change from surrounding area

Are you sure there is no injury?

--> Positive! Crazy thing is, I had stopped to talk with a neighbor, and wasn't even moving at the time.

--> no previous medical illness. I am fairly healthy and fit. (although I did have ACL surgery on that leg 6 years ago... can that be related at all?)

Dear Trace,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

Yes,you need to visit your doctor.

As you are pretty sure that there was no direct injury,the most probable cause of your symptoms of sudden unknowingly giant bump & bruise can be due to tear or unknown injury or long term pressure/twist to your ACL.This can be related to your ACL surgery that you had 6 years ago.

The ACL is one of the four main ligaments within the knee that connect the femur to the tibia.This ligament damage can cause a sudden onset of throbbing pain, bruising and severe swelling resulting in giant bump & bruise.

Initial symptoms immediately after injury include knee pain, swelling and stiffness.This cannot be a direct injury,but a long time pressure upon walking & other activities(because you had history of ACL injury)can cause this.

It is estimated that 70 percent of ACL injuries occur through non-contact mechanisms while 30 percent result from direct contact with another player or objec

It does not seem to be due to blood clots in legs.

Yes,you need to go to your doctor for examination & tests like x-rays. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan may be required to evaluate the ACL and to check for evidence of injury to other knee ligaments, meniscus cartilage, or articular cartilage.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you need to make a quick appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to confirm the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Till then ice the area on and off. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel.Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the icepack in a towel.The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore limits bleeding into the skin and reduces the size of the bruise.

Also take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Robert,

With all honest respect, I know it is hard to "see" without actually seeing my leg. My bump is about one and half hands' width below my patella and slightly (two finger widths) lateral to my tibia. I will definitely go to the doctor, but my initial thought is that it might be a ruptured vein?? Is that even possible? It literally felt like I got kicked in the leg when it happened. If this is the case, would icing it help? Or is elevation best until I can get in to my doc?

Dear Customer,
Thank you for asking follow up question.I am happy to answer you further.

Yes,a direct injury(like kicked in leg) is the most probable cause of your bruise & giant bump & considering the size you have described it is quite possible to have got direct injury.

Some people are more prone to bruising even with slight injury.

A bruise forms when the capillaries, or blood vessels near the surface of the skin, are damaged. Blood leaks out of the vessels(ruptured vein) causing discoloration and some tenderness. As the blood returns to the vessels, the bruise heals.

RICE treatment is very effective. You may find the swelling improves with (R)est, (I)ce packs, (C)ompression (wearing a bandage) and (E)levation (keeping the leg in a raised position).Anti-inflammatory medication (such as ibuprofen, naproxen, diclofenac, etc) can be taken to reduce inflammation and swelling.They are available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Also consult your doctor for examination & prescription medications accordingly.

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sir,

I was not kicked. Not even touched.

I received no external wound.

I am still perplexed.

Is there anything else it could be?

Thank you.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for asking follow up question.I am happy to answer you.

Physical examination is very much required & x-rays are to be done.As there is no external wound & you are sure that you are not kicked.

Most likely this seems to be a bruise only.Less likely there can be a possibility of blood clot.Blood clots can form is the deep veins of the leg, causing a blockage in circulation.

You may need following tests:

-Ultrasound scan of the leg,
-D-dimer blood test,
-Doppler studies

If that is the case,it is to be evaluated at ER.

If this bump is bruise/rupture vein,Icing & raising the leg will help you greatly(another way of diagnosis a bruise).

In conclusion I can say that direct physical & clinical examination along with these tests is very much required here for exact diagnosis.

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an urgent appointment/call your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

And please do remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
Hi Trace

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you applied the ice?
Have you consulted the doctor?
What was final diagnosis made?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for following up with me.

First doc I went to did not know what to make of it. He suggested it may be a bite or sting, but there is no puncture wound. Second doc suggested I was hit with a stone and just didn't see/know it happened. Third doc suggested it was an "exploded vein" but couldn't tell me why it had happened. She suggested I follow up in a few days to see how it progresses after icing and elevating (as you suggested).

Hi Trace
Welcome back & thank you for your reply.

Yes,as I said above,most probably this is due to bruise.

There can be unknown reasons for which the capillary walls become more fragile and prone to rupture.Other causes of bruises can be:liver diseases like cirrhosis of the liver, hepatitis, platelet disorders, marfan syndrome, von willebrand's disease, bone marrow disorders, antibodies anti-FVIIIc syndrome and cushing's syndrome, blood clotting abnormalities.

Ice the area on and off. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel.Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the icepack in a towel.The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore limits bleeding into the skin and reduces the size of the bruise.

A bruise is usually is not a cause for concern.It will resolve by itself within few weeks to few months.If you feel any of these symptoms then there is need of concern & you need to get back to your doctor:

-Extreme pressure in the site of bruise
-Increasing pain,
-Skin pallor (or a noticeable loss of color to the area),
-Numbness
-Tingling sensation

Otherwise this will get resolve by its own within few weeks.You need to wait & watch.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert