Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I woke up with a sharp tingly pain in my left arm just above

I woke up with a sharp tingly pain in my left arm just above my elbow. Not like a funny bone feeling, it was inside the arm. No chest pain or discomfort
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you have pain in neck radiating towards arm?
Do you work on computer for long hours?
Do you have breathing discomfort?
Are you on any medications?
Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?
Did you had any injury?
Any other health or medical problems

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't seem to be coming from the neck.
No breathing discomfort. No injuries.
I'm not on medication.
I don't feel as if I have anxiety.
I am overweight and have had blood pressure as high as 140.
Took my bp and it is 132/ 89
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all these additional details.
I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Well, the most common cause of this sort of discomfort is from irritation of the nerves that supply your arm.
It would be a good idea to have an x-ray of your neck for precise diagnosis.
Also nerve conduction studies test or ElectroMyography would be diagnostic for this condition.

The other likely possibility is that one of the discs (the soft sacs which cushion the spaces between the vertebrae) is bulging and pressing on nerve roots.
This sometimes gets better on its own. If it doesn't, an MRI can help evaluate for this problem or other difficulties in the soft tissues.

It can also occur with pressure on the spinal nerves, or pressure on Peripheral nerves.

For the time, you can take Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, like Motrin. Also the use of Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), is very helpful.
Physical therapy will also be helpful. It includes- Short wave diathermy, Infra red, Wax therapy.
You should avoid over exposure to cold temperature

Please consult your doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you don't feel that this is heart related?
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
I can understand your fear for heart disease.

Heart related pain usually starts with chest pain or tightness.
This pain can be felt as dull, heavy, tight or severe. Also pain/numbness sensation and discomfort may spread to your jaw, neck, arms, back or stomach.
Patient feels sick or shortness of breath.

As such it doesn't sounds to be related with heart disease.

Most likely this is related with Nerve compression.
You should avoid any lifting or pushing / pulling weights or heavy objects.
Stretching exercises can help you feel better and may help to relieve nerve root compression.

If symptoms doesn't improve then stronger anti-inflammatory with painkiller action can be prescribed.
Please follow these above measures, and get it clinically evaluated from your doctor.

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years