Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

At night the heel of my right foot gets itchy as well as a

At night the heel of my right foot gets itchy as well as a pulsating sensation right on the medial (inside) edge. There is no rash or discolouration, just itchy to the point where i can not sleep.
Hi--how long has this been going on? Do you have ant medical conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, No medical conditions. I had this itchy heel last year this time of year but it went away, I'm expecting that to happen again. It's been approx 3 weeks of itchyness (worse) so far. I get cold feet at work sometimes and tend to have a hot shower that night. I scratch it with a meat tenderiser as this tends to get through the layers of skin.

And the feeling is just in that one heel and nowhere else?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The other heel has the occasional tingle, but nothing like the right foot. Apart from this nowhere else.

OK--just one other question--can you tell me more about this pulsating sensation? And you said at night--is that once you've gone to bed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I really feel it once I lie down, not straight away but maybe a couple of hour later. The Itchiness comes with the tingle/pulsating sensation it wakes me up. It hits then fades, hits and fades. My heels are fine now but at the end of the day once I get home I start to feel a sensation even whilst getting the kids to bed, I can ignore it at that time but not once I'm trying to sleep.

OK. Two possibilities here. This is too localized to be something like a peripheral neuropathy from something like diabetes or a disk problem in the lower back. Potentially is could be something called tarsal tunnel syndrome which is like carpal tunnel but in the ankle rather than the wrist. If it only occurs at night it could be the beginning of restless leg syndrome. I'd get an MRI of the ankle and foot and a nerve conduction study to see about the tarsal tunnel and if those were normal, I'd consider a medication like Requip if it is RLS