Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

My 24 year old daughter is just about to finish her MA and

My 24 year old daughter is just about to finish her MA and is in a state of acute anxiety. She had IBS at the end of her first degree but has been ok all this year but for last few days she has been having stomach ache and also had red small boil like spots on her face, leg and collar bone. The spots are a bit less today and she does not have time to go to a doctor. She is going to avoid dairy and fizzy drinks now. What over the counter meds could she take please? Pepto Bismol? Thank you for your time.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Has she undergone any tests?
Was diagnosis of IBS made by her doctors?
Does he had anxiety because of these spots on her face?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She saw a doctor early last year who diagnosed her - without tests- as having IBS and put her on some IBS medicine which builds up effectiveness. . She took this for some months, got better and then stopped the medecine. She has been all right up until the extreme stress of finishing her Masters Degree (she has also just gone back on the pill, Microgynol which she has not taken for a year). The anxiety is not for the look of the spots but because she feels ill, has stomach pain and suddenly came out in boil like spots over the last few days. I feel it may be anxiety bringing on IBS ..she just does not have time to go to a doctor until next Tuesday so I wondered if she should take Pepto Bismol. thank you

Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Irritable bowel syndrome(IBS) is not a disease. It’s a functional disorder, meaning that the bowel doesn't’t work, or function, correctly.Its causes are unknown.Stress & anxiety are one of the commonest aggravating factor of symptoms.

She can take following:

- Take tab. Loperamide to stop the diarrhea & loose stools(if she had).

-Tab.Acetaminophen for relief from pain & abdominal cramps

-Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day to get relief from gastric trouble/gas.She can take pepto bismol 2 TSF along with this for better relief.

All these medications are available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help her greatly till she gt back to her doctor.

The red small boil like spots on your daughter's face is most probably because of a condition called acne vulgaris.It is a skin problem that starts when oil and dead skin cells clog up the pores.

At puberty/young age androgens increase the production of sebum from enlarged sebaceous glands that become blocked and infected with Propionibacterium acnes causing an inflammatory reaction.

The aims of treatment are to prevent new spots forming, to improve those already present, and to prevent scarring.

She can apply ointment containing bezoyl peroxide like clearasil Max.It has antibacterial effects and can dry out the skin and encourage it to shed the surface layer of dead skin.It is available as over the counter(OTC) without prescription & will help her greatly till she get back to her doctor after next tuesday.

Also she should avoid fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The spots are not acne. She is 24, not a teenager. They suddenly appeared out of nowhere and are different to ordinary spots. Could they not be linked to her stomach pain and stress? She has been drinking milk recently and could be lactose intolerant, she was on soya milk (prescribed formula ) as a five month old baby and she now has anaphalaxis re sesame seeds and shellfish (has been properly tested). Could the sudden appearance of the spots/small boil like eruptions be linked to food intolerance along with the stomach ache (as opposed to IBS or on top of IBS). Thanks

Dear XXXXX
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Okay as you given the more details now regarding the food intolerance & that these spots have developed suddenly & is not chronic,these cannot be acne.

Please do not consider the above treatment as that was for acne.

The sudden developed spots she is having can be due to anaphylaxis or allergic reaction from the milk/food intolerance.

A hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) occurs in the skin, causing inflammation. The inflammation causes the skin to become reddish & spots.

Give her the following medication:

-Tablet benadryl(anti histamine) once a day.

-Apply cream containing hydrocortisone.

Both these medications are available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help her greatly till she gt back to her doctor.

And yes you are right, the stomach ache she is having is most probably due to this lactose intolerance.

So she need to take the anti histamine medication-tab.Benadryl as described above & apply the cream containing hydrocortisone.It will help her greatly.

Do not take the medications described in previous post.

Hope this helped

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr. Charles