Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

my 12 year old son was at soccer practice last night and lunged

my 12 year old son was at soccer practice last night and lunged out to block a shot with his left leg and felt a pop in his upper thigh. its below his hip but upper part of the front of his leg. when it happened he fell to the ground in pain. he couldn't put pressure on it til after about an hour. we iced him several times and gave him aleve. he is walking on it but slowly. he says it feels like a sharp pain in that spot. what do you think this is? strained muscle?
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

What is the severity of pain on scale of 1-10?
Is there any bruise?
Is the area tender?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

last night his pain was a nine when it happened then after a hour or two it was a 6 then this morning a 5. it is tender in that one spot nor bruising but swollen. this morning when he put ice on it again he said it felt like it was throbbing a bit

Dear customer,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Yes,the symptoms you have described seems most probably of muscle strain.Muscle strains usually happen when a muscle is stretched beyond its limit,tearing the muscle fibers or an injury that causes a direct blow to the muscle.

The pain,tenderness swelling he is having is most likely because of this muscle strain. The anterior or front portion of the upper leg is made up of four muscles known as the quadriceps.Most likely muscle fibers of this muscle got stretched due to the injury.

RICE treatment is effective.He will find the swelling & pain improves with (R)est, (I)ce packs, (C)ompression (wearing a bandage) and (E)levation (keeping the leg in a raised position).Anti-inflammatory medication (such as ibuprofen, naproxen, diclofenac, etc) will help to reduce inflammation and swelling.

As you have already applied the ice & given aleve to him,this will help him greatly.I advise to continue the same treatment.His pain level has already decreased & continuing it will further decrease the swelling & pain.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr. Charles