Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

ive had upper left chest pain now for 10 months all most every

ive had upper left chest pain now for 10 months all most every day starts in upper chest had stress tests done xrays all good ct scan and cemera down my stomach ultra sound shows nothing and today i got it on the right side i do get heart burn bad cold feeling in my legs and feet rotten sought of tast in throet and nose stomach rumbles and mones when i lay down

Hello Dave,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

What did your Esophageal manometry, Ambulatory 24-hour pH monitoring show?
Any significant past medical history or surgery?

Do you drink alcohol? If yes, how much and how frequently?
Are you anxious / stressed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it showed had a little errosion not much to worry about and biopsi showed nothing no medical history i drink only 5 beers per week

Hello Dave,

Your symptoms are suggestive of non cardiac chest pain. The commonest causes for it are;

1) Esophageal (food pipe) spasm

2) Hiatal hernia

3) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

4) Chest wall problem

Your doctor may get an endoscopy (camera exam) and food pipe motility study to confirm the cause. Please read this resource;

Noncardiac chest pain is defined as recurrent chest pain that is indistinguishable from heart pain after a reasonable workup has ruled out a cardiac cause.It may affect almost 25% of the adult men. The main underlying causes as discussed are gastroesophageal reflux, esophageal dysmotility (movement disorfder of the food pipe) and esophageal hypersensitivity. Gastroesophageal reflux disease is likely the most common cause of non cardiac chest pain. Esophageal hypersensitivity also is seen in many patient with the chest pain. Psychological issues such as panic disorder, anxiety, and depression are also common in non cardiac chest pain patients and often modifies and affects perception of disease severity.

The mechanism by which acid reflux causes heartburn in some patients and chest pain in other patients remains poorly understood, and is complicated by the fact that a subset of patients with NCCP complain of both heartburn and chest pain symptoms. You may try following;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Following also would be helpful;

A. Herbs;

1) Cranberry
2) Peppermint

B. Homeopathy

1) Nux Vomica
2) Pulsatilla

C. Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.