Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I have a severe toothache and am out of the country so cant

Customer Question

I have a severe toothache and am out of the country so can't get to my dentist for another 36 hours. It feels like an abcess. I went to the pharmacist and he recommended naproxen ...2 x 220mg for first dose . I took those and the pain was greatly minimized. It is 5 hours later and the pain is back in full force ...it woke me up. What can I do or take ? I have been swishing warm salt water as well.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concern and it's my pleasure to help you in every aspect.
The most common causes of toothache are tooth decay, infection, cracked tooth, gum disease, infected dental pulp etc.

As you have taken Naproxen so you can take Tylenol alternately every 4-6 hours.

Continue warm saline rinses few times in a day.
Brush twice with proper technique ( from up to down as compared to sideways ).
Avoid frequent small snacks and sugar intake.
Drink plenty of water.

You can try Toothache Drops(eugenol-clove oil) available at your pharmacy which is very soothing to an exposed tooth.
Place a drop or two on a cotton pellet and place on the tooth or on the hole of the tooth.
You may require antibiotics and make an appointment with your dentist ASAP.
If pain is severe then you should visit ER.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have been doing the warm saline rinses. We are leaving on a flight tomorrow morning and I will get to my dentist the following day. What I am looking for is a way to safely take pain killers until I get home. Travelling by plane all day tomorrow will be excruciating with this severe toothache...and it is severe. Like pressure under the tooth. The Naproxen 2 x 220mg worked great for 4 hours...now the pain is back in full force. I am in good health and just take t3 t4 medication for a thyroid ( hypothryroidism) ...no other medications. Am allergic to caffeine and codeine. I just wanted to know what I can take for the next 24 hours to get me home. Can I take the naproxen more regularly or would ibuprofin work better . Please help...thanks !

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.
Both ibuprofen and naproxen are NSAIDs
Naproxen is a drug that works slower than ibuprofen, but in the end will offer longer-term relief compared to the short-term benefit of ibuprofen.
As you have pain started again after 4 hours of Naproxen so you should take Tylenol 500 mg now and then after 4 hours take Naproxen again.
So you should take Naproxen and Tylenol alternately 4-6 hourly in next 24 hours.
Also continue to do warm saline rinse.
And try OTC clove oil drops.
Cool water sometimes relieve pain so you can try it as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you. Can I take the 2 x 220mg of naproxen in 4 hours ? or do I absolutely need to limit to just 1 220mg tablet ?I don't want to overdose it but need to manage this pain until I see the dentist. I realize the risks increase for bleeding etc but it would not be a long term dosage just for 24 hours. If I take the tylenol 500mg at the 4 hour mark, can I then take 2 x 220 mg of naproxen 4 hours later and continue this for 24 hours. I do have clove oil and have also been using that.

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.
You shouldn't take 220 mg of naproxen in 4 hours.

You can take naproxen sodium 220 mg orally every 8 hours as needed.
So you can take Tylenol 500 mg at the 4 hour mark, then take 2 x 220 mg of naproxen 4 hours later and continue this for 24 hours.

Hope this helps.