Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

I am 41 years old and have regular periods. Today is Day 18

I am 41 years old and have regular periods. Today is Day 18 of my cycle. My cycles run every 26-30 days. Today after I went to the bathroom, I noticed that I passed some bloody tissue in the toilet, and now I have spotting that is significant enough that I need a panty liner. My last period was heavier than usual with the passing of some very large clots.

My partner had a vasectomy, so we do not use any other form of birth control.

I'm wondering if this mid-cycle bleeding is normal, as I've never had it before.

Thank you for your help.

medtech254 :

Do you take any medications r have any medical conditions?:

medtech254 :

Bleeding between normal periods can be a normal finding. This is normally associated with pregancy but if you no for certain that you are not pregnant there can be other causes.

medtech254 :

Given your age it is quite possible that this is perimenopause which is the span of years before menopause when a woman's hormone levels and menstrual periods become irregular.This causes irregular period cycles.

medtech254 :

This starts at around age 40.

Customer:

I take effexor xr 225 mg, but I have been taking it for 5 years.

Customer:

My mother started with menopausal symptoms at age 40, so yes, it could be that.

medtech254 :

The effexor would not be a factor and given the family history this would be in line with perimenopause.

medtech254 :

The period will get more irregular as you get older and finally stop.

medtech254 :

If the bleeding becomes heavy or you have pain, etc you should be seen to make sure since you cannot determine 100% without a physical exam.

medtech254 :

Hormone levels also can be checked and replacements may need to be prescribed.

Customer:

Well I do thank you for your help. I am due for my annual GYN visit, so I will discuss all of this.

medtech254 :

You are very welcome! Thanks for using Just Answer and please remember to rate my service today. Thanks Again!