Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Hoping to get an opinion on some bumps that have appeared on

Hoping to get an opinion on some bumps that have appeared on my scrotum and base of my penis shaft. I had unprotected oral sex 16-17 days before these bumps started to appear. It started as 2 bumps but within several days 6-8 more have appeared. They are not painful but there is a bit of an ache in the area kinda like a mild bruise. When squeezed there is a tiny bit of clear fluid from some of them. They do not appear to be blisters but it is hard to tell and about half of them have a hair follicle near the center. I am rather concerned that this might be a herpes outbreak but have not been able to see a doctor. Polysporin seems to help a bit but more keep appearing.
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

medtech254 :

Hello! I will be assisting you today. Let me give you some facts about herpes as that is likely the cause in this case.

medtech254 :

It usually takes two weeks after becoming infected to begin developing signs and symptoms (known as a herpes outbreak), although this incubation period can be as short as one day or as long as a month.

medtech254 :
    An itching or burning feeling in the genital or anal area Swollen glands Pain in the legs, buttocks, or genital area
  • A feeling of pressure in the area below the stomach

• Painful urination.

medtech254 :

Within a few days, sores (also called lesions) show up where the virus has entered the body, such as on the mouth, penis, or anus.

medtech254 :

The sores are small red bumps that may turn into blisters or painful open sores. Over a period of days, the sores become crusted and then heal without scarring. All told, the time period from the beginning of symptoms is usually around two to four weeks.

medtech254 :

If symptoms of herpes appear, they can vary widely from person to person. If a person does experience signs of infection, we recommend obtaining a culture test (a swab from the symptom) within the first 48 hours after a lesion appears. Results are usually available in about a week's time.

The major advantage of the culture is its accuracy in giving a positive result. A culture can also be “typed” to determine whether the infection is caused by HSV-1 or HSV-2. If you test positive by viral culture, you can be sure you have the virus.

Because a culture works by requiring virus that is active, if a lesion is very small, or is already beginning to heal, there may not be enough virus present for an accurate culture. Beyond 48 hours of the symptoms appearing, there is a risk of receiving a false negative test result. Viral culture is even less accurate during recurrences (positive in only about 30% of recurrent outbreaks).

medtech254 :

At this point what you describe would be in line with herpes transmission.

medtech254 :

You should go to the urgent care clinic or your Dr. and get checked as I have described.

Customer:

I should add that i have taken several pictures as well that may help.

Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Full Size Image

medtech254 :

Yes these appear to be herpes lesions. You need to get these tested at the lab to make sure but they do have the correct appearance. The Dr. will have to order the test and it is important to get in before they rupture and crust over which makes testing much more difficult.

Customer:

Fantastic, not likely going to be able to make it to a clinic or doctor anytime soon and my local std clinic is normally booked full for weeks in advance. I know i have tested negative for herpes in the past so i may have to wait for 2 months and then take the blood test again to be certain.

medtech254 :

Sorry for the bad news. But these are what would be expected. These should rupture and then crust over. I would get in with your std clinic asap or your regular doctor if you have one. I'm not sure in Canada but I'm assuming that you have urgent care walk-in clincs that you may also go to.

Customer:

Was hoping it was just an infection of the sebaceous gland that are all over the areas in question as they are large and white to begin with.

medtech254 :

Not from the pictures but testing is needed to confirm.

Customer:

We have walk ins but i think i will try to get into my local health unit for evaluation if possible. Should i continue to apply polysporin or will this just spread it even more?

medtech254 :

No this will not cause the area to spread. Polysporin can be continued to keep down any bacterial issues that may exist as well. It will not help with herpes but is not something that is going to do harm.

Customer:

good to know, i was worried that applying it was causing new spots to appear, new one have been apearing almost daily for the last week.

medtech254 :

No this will not spread the area.

Customer:

ok, i appreciate your time, not what i was hoping to hear but now i will be getting tested and looked at asap.

medtech254 :

Sorry for the bad news but at least you have an idea of what is going on. Thanks for your question and don't forget to rate my service today.

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.