Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

I started with a muscle type pain this morning in my back but

I started with a muscle type pain this morning in my back but on my side just above waste. Took Motrin, and less pain. Tonight it is worse so I soaked in the tub. Its a dull ache and is more in front on side above waste. The pain feels like a ball sensation in there.
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

medtech254 :

Do you have any medical conditions? Do you take any medication? Any past surgeries?

Customer:

no. only med is atenolol once a day

medtech254 :

Do you have regular bowel movements? Any history of kidney stones?

medtech254 :

Did this start as the result of an injury or all of a sudden?

Customer:

lately, irregular (past 2 days) but went today. no kidney stones

Customer:

This started gradually this morning.

medtech254 :

Was the bowel movement hard?

Customer:

soft

medtech254 :

How much fluid do you consume a day?

Customer:

lately about one and a half liters and used to drink much more

Customer:

didn't go 2 days ago, little diarrhea yesterday and today soft

medtech254 :

With the change in bowel habits in the last couple of days this is likely related to the discomfort. This can have many other causes but without a physical exam and an ultrasound, x-ray it is hard to say 100%.

Customer:

gasy today as well

medtech254 :

With diarrhea, hard mass, and change in bowel habits this points to a bowel obstruction. Gas would also be in line with an obstruction (that can be a partial obstruction vs complete)

medtech254 :

You need to go to your regular dr and have an x-ray done to determine if there is a mass.

medtech254 :

If so this can be treated fairly easily.

Customer:

can I flush it by drinking lots of water?

medtech254 :

Lot's of fluid will help to lubricate the area with mucus but if the mass is very hard you may need stool softeners. If depends on how large it is and that can only be determined via further testing (x-ray).

Customer:

so I can wait til morning? Its after hours here

medtech254 :

Yes this is not an er issue but you should get into the office in the morning.

Customer:

ok thank you

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.