Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I had a heart attack three years and a stent was put in place.

I had a heart attack three years and a stent was put in place. Since then every EKG, Heart Ultra sound, Contract CT, x-ray has shown normal. I was scheduled for ankle surgery. The cardiologist refused to say okay until I had a chemical stress test. I am totally against this test for many reasons, not to mention I thought it was my right. She also refuses to let me have a block for the surgery. Do you know of any other procedures that might satisfy her? What about the Cardiac MRI test? Thanks, Patricia

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

A heart scan, which is a coronary calcium scan is an alternative

Customer:

Can you tell me what this would involve? I

Dr Brims :

It is not as good as the stress test, especially since you have had a heart attack in the past

Dr Brims :

It is basically a CT scan of your heart

Customer:

Any thoughts as to why she won't discuss a block? The heart scan sounds like an option I would agree to.

Dr Brims :

I have no idea why she doesn't want a block, that seems unreasonable to me, and unrelated to your heart

Customer:

She also told me she thought my risk was extremely low.

Dr Brims :

Ok, that is good

Customer:

Do you think it would be reasonable to offer to take a heart scan and ask for the block?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that would be reasonable

Customer:

Thank you. I have been trying to research alternatives for days to no avail.

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suggested your alternative to the cardiologist along with the possibility of a PET heart scan or a REAL TIME MRI all of which she refused. She is leaving me no choice. I am beginning to think she I just being stubborn. Thank you for your help. Tricia

You're quite welcome, please let me know if I can be of more help