Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Why does the effect of caffeine vary from day to day? Some

Why does the effect of caffeine vary from day to day? Some days coffee perks me up and gives me high alertness, other days a few sips and I suddenly want to fall asleep, like I've been drugged.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

May I ask if you have any medical conditions or take any medication?

Customer:

Just a mild, year-round sinus allergy for which I take Qnasil nasal spray.

Dr Brims :

Okay, how much sleep do you get every night?

Customer:

It varies but generally around 8 hours, give or take an hour.

Customer:

It's usually when I didn't sleep well that the coffee seems to have this knock-out effect. I'm just confused why it seems to assist my fatigue instead of fighting it

Dr Brims :

Okay, this is a sign that your body is very tired, and the caffeine you are drinking may not be adequate, because the body develops a tolerance to it

Customer:

I usually only drink one cup a day. But on these sleepy days no matter how much I drink I just get more and more tired.

Customer:

I understand that coffee can't instantly erase a bad night's sleep but I can't figure out why it seems to make it WORSE

Dr Brims :

It may be a sign that your sinuses are congested, or that you have sleep apnea making you tired

Customer:

But how does that relate to coffee?

Dr Brims :

The coffee may increase your metabolism and augment the feeling you have of drowsiness

Customer:

Hm. Ok. Interesting. Thanks.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any questions in the future, you may request me "Dr Brims" and I will be happy to chat with you