Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

There are spots on my head that hurt to the touch. Currently

Customer Question

There are spots on my head that hurt to the touch. Currently it's toward the back of my head, a bit to the right from center. I don't feel any bumps, I don't recall hitting it or causing recent trauma. I don't have a fever. Any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 11 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question and for the request.

Without any rememberance of trauma, there are several causes that I will list. Some may or may not apply to you in your case but for the sake of covering all the bases, I'll list everything.

First thing that comes to mind is possible lymph nodes that are inflammed. Lymph nodes help to filter bacteria and infection. Lymph nodes can also become sore for idiopathic reasons (no reason at all). Also, areas of inflammation on the scalp from skin disorders are a possibility. New hair products, a change in hair routine (washing frequency, or products), even the way you style your hair can cause soreness (for example, combing your hair a different way or wearing a ponytail and you normally don't wear a ponytail etc)....even an insect bite or tick bite. Chiggers can embed themselves into your scalp and while the itching may be to a minimum, the soreness they leave behind can be felt.

Usually for issues that are non-specific (ones that don't point to a specific disease or problem) will most times resolve in time on their own. However, if you feel any of the above pertains to your situation or circumstances, let me know and we can talk about it in more depth. Feel free to respond if needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I just want to give an extra clarification to see if it narrows the possibilities; it usually doesn't hurt until I touch certain areas, then it hurts during touching and leaves a lingering pain for a short duration. I look forward to your response, then I think that should do it. Thanks again.

Thank for the added info. So it definitely sounds just like soreness and not ongoing pain. Touching that illicits pain usually will go away with time. Sounds like an outside influence as we mentioned earlier. Even a clogged hair follicle can cause pain when the follicle enlarges (although you may not be able to feel an enlargement) and this happens quite a bit during warm weather. Make sure to wash your hair often, try not to touch the sore areas while they are getting better, and if you are using any new products, I'd go back to what I was using before. Of course, I have to tell you that if the spots don't improve on their own, you'll have to let your Dr put his/her eyes on the spots and also take a feel. But these will most likely resolve within a reasonable amount of time. Let me know if I can help further. Thank you!
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks very much for your time and expert information.

I'm happy to pay for your service.

God bless,

Christi

Thank you Christi - I hope you feel better soon. If I can help in the future, just request me again. I'll be happy to help.