Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

Last week I had CECT of right upper abdomen. Below was the

Customer Question

Last week I had CECT of right upper abdomen. Below was the result:

"Liver is enlarged in Size with reduced density. Intra-hepatic biliary radicals are not dilated with patent confluence"

What does this mean. I am having continuous pain in my right upper abdomen. My LFT is absolutely normal & all within range.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Dr. R. Bora :

Can we chat live?

Dr. R. Bora :

Please enter the chat.

Dr. R. Bora :

This CECT means that your liver is slightly enlarged in size and there is fatty infiltration of the liver cells.

Dr. R. Bora :

Intra-hepatic biliary radicals are not dilated with patent confluence: This means that the ducts inside your liver are of normal caliber.

Dr. R. Bora :

The CECT scan has not given any cause for the continuous upper right side pain.

Customer:

LFT is normal. Then why I am having pain in my right upper abdomen.

Dr. R. Bora :

Can you tell me what comment they gave about your GALL BLADDER"?

Customer:

Can I attach the scan copy of CECT

Dr. R. Bora :

Yes, but I wonder the images would be clear to interpret?

Dr. R. Bora :

Do you have the typed report with you?

Customer:

I have the scan copy of both CECT & LFT.

Dr. R. Bora :

Ok. Gall bladder inflammation with or without stones is usually one of the common cause for right upper abdomen pain.

Dr. R. Bora :

However, the gall bladder stones are not clearly detectable on a CECT scan but rather on an ultrasound study.

Dr. R. Bora :

So, I would advise you to get one done at the earliest.

Dr. R. Bora :

Other conditions with constant pain are: Right kidney stones or ureteric stones that can also be excluded by an ultrasound study.

Customer:

Gall bladder is normal in size & shape. Common bile duct is not dilated. pancreas is normal shape size & density. spleen is normal shape size & density. Both Kidneys are normal shape and size. abdominal aorta & IVC are normal. no free fluid. no retroperitoneal lymphhadenopathy

Dr. R. Bora :

Oh! Thanks for the typing the report here. Your CECT report is normal .

Dr. R. Bora :

Can you describe your pain on a scale of 1 to 10?

Customer:

I had ultrasound one month back. there was no problem of stones etc.

Dr. R. Bora :

That sounds god too!!

Customer:

in the range of 2 to 5

Dr. R. Bora :

That means dull ache.

Dr. R. Bora :

Is the pain over your ribs?

Customer:

yes.

Customer:

no

Dr. R. Bora :

This might be "costochondritis".

Dr. R. Bora :

This is an inflammation of the rib joints with the cartilage.

Customer:

I had pain on my right shoulder blade

Dr. R. Bora :

The pain is only in the right shoulder blade?

Dr. R. Bora :

Any history of injury there??

Customer:

yes. 2 years back this pain on shoulder was extreme. I couldn't lift my right hand.

Customer:

No history of injury

Dr. R. Bora :

Did you ever get an MRI of the shoulder joint?

Customer:

no

Customer:

shoulder pain comes and goes.

Customer:

is shoulder pain related to abdomen pain?

Dr. R. Bora :

Not really.

Dr. R. Bora :

If you are more concerned about your abdominal pain, you should exclude other conditins like inflammation of the bowel.

Dr. R. Bora :

This might not be evident on a CECT scan.

Dr. R. Bora :

How is your stool?

Customer:

Every thing is normal. Yes, I have thyroid. I am Hypothyroid.

Customer:

I take 100 mcg per day

Dr. R. Bora :

O.K.

Dr. R. Bora :

So, so there is no abnormality in all the organs on your right side like the gall bladder, kidneys and bowels but you still have pain!!

Customer:

Yes. That is the problem. Even my doctor says there is no problem. Then why I am having pain.

Dr. R. Bora :

The pain can even come from your muscles.

Dr. R. Bora :

Have you checked your blood electrolytes?

Customer:

I was referred to orthopedic also. But there also every thing is normal. No, I have not checked blood electrolytes.

Dr. R. Bora :

Get the blood levels of sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium and zinc checked.

Dr. R. Bora :

abnormal blood electrolyte and minerals can sometimes be an elusive cause for pain.

Customer:

My abdominal pain first started in Feb 2007. Since then it comes & goes. But from Jan of this year it is consistently persistent.

Dr. R. Bora :

Do you take multivitamins daily?

Customer:

No

Dr. R. Bora :

Then I think you need to take one with zinc and magnesium in it.

Dr. R. Bora :

Check you blood calcium and vitamin D levels as well.

Customer:

After many research, past ten days I am taking Milk Thistle capsules. Since I believe my Liver is enlarged & is problem

Dr. R. Bora :

Yes, milk thistle is good for liver.

Dr. R. Bora :

Avoid fatty and fried foods and stick to a non fatty diet.

Customer:

Does this pain posses liver cancer threat? I am very much worried. If LFT is normal then is there chance of Liver cancer.

Dr. R. Bora :

No, in liver cancer your enzymes will be abnormal.

Dr. R. Bora :

And it will be seen on a CECT scan too.

Dr. R. Bora :

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you! Bonuses would be appreciated.

Dr. R. Bora :

Do you have any more question?

Dr. R. Bora :

Are you online?

Customer:

yes

Dr. R. Bora :

Do you have any more question?

Customer:

Physically & personally I feel my Liver is giving this pain.

Customer:

Your final advise

Dr. R. Bora :

my final advise would be to get a follow up CECT scan after 3 months to see for the size and fatty content of your liver.

Dr. R. Bora :

Check your LFT at the same time to look for any change.

Customer:

Do you recommend Liver Biopsy

Dr. R. Bora :

This is not necessary unless you detect something on a CECT scan.

Customer:

Yes, one more question. After eating Milk Thistle I am have mouth ulcers. Any advice?

Dr. R. Bora :

You can also get a a contrast MRI study of the liver for comparison with CECT scan.

Dr. R. Bora :

Take vitamin B supplements.

Dr. R. Bora :

The ulcers could be canker sores.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Its little but does exist.

Dr. R. Bora :

All my best wishes for a good health.

Customer:

Thank you very much.

Dr. R. Bora :

You are welcome!

Dr. R. Bora :

Dr. R. Bora :

For new or follow up questions, please request me as Dr. Bora in the opening statement of the question.

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.