Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Two weeks ago my right leg has been causing me great pain.I

Two weeks ago my right leg has been causing me great pain. I did not fall or over-exercise. It feels like my muscles are aching at different places and different times from the thigh to the calf - front and/or back.

My shins feel as if they were both kicked and there are no external signs of trauma. My primary care physician could not determine anything organic and prescribed an anti-inflammatory. Neither that or even loads of ibuprofin have done anything to relieve the throbbing or intense pain. I am now walking with a distinct limp.

I have been taking some left-over tylenol 3 which gives me some relief for a very short time.

Could this all be psychosomatic?

Any ideas?

Hello Boruch ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Do you have any muscle weakness?
Do you have back pain or back issue?

Are your symptoms confined to right lower limb or are on both the sides?
Any significant past medical illness or surgery?
Are you on any medications, herbs, supplements?
Any significant family history?
Were any investigations done for your symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, My right leg strength feels the same just very painful.

I had similar pain/strain in my lower back some months ago and it just went away as I am sure this will -- eventually,.

no illness, meds or other issues.

no investigations as of yet.

Good Morning Boruch,

Significant pain causing almost a limp, with no other symptoms like swelling or redness or warmth is likely due to a nerve issue. Following possibilities should be looked for;

1) a pinched nerve.
2) peripheral neuropathy due to vitamin B12 deficiency.

A nerve conduction velocity study (NCV) and electromyography (EMG) with a blood work estimation of B12 should be able to substantiate the diagnosis. A pinched nerve is treated by physical therapy while B 12 deficiency would need supplements of it. A pinched nerve can occur due to back arthritis without a back pain and an MRI is the medical imaging to diagnose it. This is quite unlikely to be psychosomatic.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hmmm. Thank you.

Did my condition happen for any specific reason like trauma or perhaps age?

would this diagnosis explain the pain up and around the right leg?

If I were to purchase some b-12 vitamins today, how many units would you suggest?

Nothing seems to reduce my daily pain, what do you suggest until it subsides?

You are very welcome, Boruch.

Injury to back, wrong posture, too much sitting job, age etc (lumbar spondylosis, degenerative arthritis) can predispose the pinched nerves in the back. This and neuropathy due to B 12 deficiency can explain the pain up and around the right leg. For the pain, you may take Advil / Motrin. You may consider taking a daily dose of 500 µg of B12.

It is privilege assisting you.