Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have a fingernail condition called onycholysis. Have been

I have a fingernail condition called onycholysis. Have been using NonyX nail gel to clear out the keratin deposits. Also, using a 3:1 water/bleach solution for infection (?fungus). What can I do to get the nails to reattach again?
Hi--just to be sure are you certain about the diagnosis? How much of the nails is affected?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A dermatologist is the one who gave me the diagnosis. Only 3 of my nails are not affected.

My thumb nails are the worst with whiteness going down to the nail bed.

I'm afraid I'll lose them eventually.

Did the dermatologist prescribe any medication?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, just the bleach solution. I am using NonyX nail gel based on info I found on the internet.

OK. In this case you've done all you can do and this can be hard to eradicate. I would now give you prescription Lamisil or Sporanox pills--one a day for six weeks. That really is the only thing for this now since topical treatments often aren't effective. Hopefully your dermatologist will take another look at your nails and give you the prescription
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the danger of liver or heart damage with these meds?

Actually that one article is somewhat misleading. So long as you have normal liver enzymes and a healthy liver there really isn't any danger of liver damage. As for the heart injury--there are no reports of the medication actually causing that. Articles like that one only tell you enough of the facts to make it sound dramatic.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My pleasure--please let me know how you do and remember to rate my service to you