Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Slow Heart Rate

Hi I'm a 50 year old female. Over the past month or so I've noticed on several occasions when checking my blood pressure at home that my pulse rate is rather low (55+ BPM). I am not an athlete and would consider myself overweight with a sedentary lifestyle. I had a stress test in April that was normal and recently had a thyroid panel done because I have nodules on my thyroid but my thyroid blood test were normal. Is this concerning and what could be the cause?

Thank you for requesting me:

Do you have any symptoms with this low heart rate?

Why did you have the stress test in April (what symptoms caused your doctors do order this test)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had an anxiety attack that prompted the stress test. No real symptoms other than I notice that when my pulse is low my blood pressure is increased, this could be because I'm somewhat concerned about it and so I'm stressing myself out...not sure

Generally, a heart rate in the 50's while at rest is not considered dangerous. There are a number of possible causes for this, but in most cases, nothing more than observation is required.

However, I would suggest mentioning this to your personal physician. He/she may want to order a 24-hour Holter monitor; a 24 hour recording of your heart rhythm. This would allow your doctor to see how often your heart rate was low, see the actual electrical activity of the heart rhythm during these times where the heart rate was slow.