Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

i have a pain on the right side where the waist is. and its

i have a pain on the right side where the waist is. and it's been bothering me today. it is dull pain. but, then on unrelated note for few weeks i've had pain near the shoulder blade and sometimes that shoots up or down.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 11 months ago.
Hi--you've never had this before? Where exactly is the pain and any nausea, fever, change in bowel movements?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

where the waist is

none of the other stuff

And before today never pain there? Does it hurt to cough or to walk?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

before today

"...but, then on unrelated note for few weeks i've had pain near the shoulder blade and sometimes that shoots up or down"

no, it does not

OK--is this pain pretty much somewhat below the right lower edge of your rib cage?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

right. more to the back

OK--if we include the right shoulder blade pain this could very well be your gall bladder and you may have gall stones causing the problem, so I'd suggest you get either a ct scan or an ultrasound of the abdomen. If this is more to the back it could be a kidney stone but I really don't think that's what's going on. Of course it could just be a bout of constipation but for now it would be a good idea to have a doctor check it out
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i had unrelated ultrasound of kidneys about a week ago. and it was fine. what about the back pain from the shoulder blade that does not seem to go away?

That ultrasound wouldn't have covered the gall bladder. Gall bladder pain can be referred to the shoulder blade or the shoulder. Potentially the shoulder blade pain could be from a bursitis of the rhomboid muscle in that area
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

and in english this "bursitis of the rhomboid muscle in that area" means what?

do you think i could have pulled a muscle or a nerve or something as far as upper back pain goes?

and they did see gallbladder. apparently, it is unremarkable.

Sorry--inflammation of the sac that lines a muscle. Even if the gall bladder had no stones it still can be what's called dysfunctional--not emptying correctly--and that can also cause pain and it takes a HIDA scan to look for that. Just giving you my thoughts about all that's going on here. If the abdominal pain continues have a doctor take a look at you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so, can the top back and side pain be related?

Only if it's your gall bladder. Otherwise the abdominal pain is unrelated to your shoulder blade pain.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it's not really a shoulder blade pain, it is near shoulder blade. i went to dr. and when he pushed on a certain spot it was very painful. and that seemed to be the place where the upper pain was radiating from. and then at some point, my neck was hurting and i could not move it and then that went away. and then sensation was up to my arm and down to my leg. it all seems to be on the same side. and then i wen to massage person and he said there was a tender spot and i forgot what it's called and it had something to do with muscle or a nerve pain.

Did your doctor consider an MRI of your spine?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no. what would that show?

Well sorry about all this but you started the question with what looked to be something about abdominal pain and then you gave me this additional information. It sounds as though you may have a disk problem in the neck in addition to some inflammation of the muscle around your shoulder blade. A pinched nerve root in the neck could be causing the right sided back and neck pain
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

sorry, i did not mean to imply it was abdominal pain. it does hurt on the side, but i took advil and it's better.

how long can the pinched nerve last or how long does it take to heal? i also pick up heavy things (in form of kids all the time), don't know if that matters.

Sorry for assuming that by the term waist you meant your back. I would refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized treatment program that would resolve the problem if it is a pinched nerve.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

how long does it take to heal?

About two weeks of treatment, although it might heal on it's own in another week
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

but, the top back pain been going on for weeks now. more like 2 mos.

Sorry--didn't realize it had been that long. Then you definitely need the MRI and the referral to the physiatrist
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

what would mri show?

Whether you have a ruptured or bulging disk that's pressing on a nerve root
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i am worried that it might be some horrible disease

Any ideas of what that might be?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

you are asking me? i thought you were the expert here.

i don't know, kidneys, liver, lungs. whatever else is there.

Sorry--just wanted to see where you were going like if you were worried about cancer or whatever--if I knew it would be easier to calm your fears.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes, that is exactly what i am worried about

No, cancer doesn't present like this at all. First off, it isn't tender if we're talking about those spots on your back. Second, it does cause radiating pain the way you describe you symptoms. Third, it doesn't suddenly crop up with pain as diffuse as this. You really don't have to worry about cancer here.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok. thank you.

My pleasure but let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice