Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have psoriasis. My eye doctor recently told me that the cataracts

I have psoriasis. My eye doctor recently told me that the cataracts in both my eyes are caused by the psoriasis. How can he tell that psoriasis caused the cataracts? I'm just curious. Is it common that psoriasis causes cataracts? Does psoriasis cause cataracts more often than other things cause cataracts?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what kind of psoriasis do you have and was this doctor an ophthalmologist--an MD?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Fave Dancing Doc! My psoriasis is a little bit of skin & more joints. On the skin it's mainly flexural/inverse and a touch of guttate. The guttate comes & goes. The flexural stays but waxes & wanes.
No this doc isn't an ophtho. It practically takes an act of congress for me to get an ophtho appt. This doc is an OD, I think. The cataracts are new. Weren't there at last appt. Were there this appt. Fifty seems young to be worrying about cataracts, but what do I know. Dancing Fool
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hey DF. Now your eyes are dancing like you legs? Dancing about the page I assume? Tell me exactly what this guy said
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Doc said "You have new cataracts in both eyes. They look like cataracts from psoriasis." That's the best of my recollection. Had a full exam after having an infection that I got in my eye immediately after coming off prednisone. I can't recall exactly how he explained the infection. Something to do w prednisone and dry eye. Perhaps that's all irrelevant. Anyway, last August (2012), no cataracts. Aug 2013 two new cataracts. Sigh.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
There are reports of very rare, very specific types of cataracts associated with psoriasis, but there are no studies I can find that say there's really any association between psoriasis and cataracts. This guy is full of it, if you know what I mean. Potentially prednisone can predispose to cataracts but only if it's taXXXXX XXXXX term
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wonder why he would have said that.... Not like anything to be gained by blaming psoriasis... Interesting. Thanks.