Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

What STDs are you at risk for when you perform oral sex on

What STDs are you at risk for when you perform oral sex on a woman? How dangerous an activity is it?

Thanks
Chris
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

medtech254 :

Hello! I be assisting you today.

medtech254 :

If the woman is infected and you have open areas in the mouth you are at high risk for various stds.

medtech254 :

If you do not have open areas the chance is lower but you can still get many stds since there is a fluid exchange taking place.

medtech254 :

The risk also depends on the chances that the woman is infected. If this is a sex worker than of course she would have a much greater chance of being infected.

medtech254 :

This is not to say that the quiet girl next door can't be infected though and you should always be safe with oral sex or any other intimate contact if you do not know for certain.

medtech254 :

You are at a higher risk of stds with penile vaginal contact and at highest risk with penile anal contact.

medtech254 :

Dental dam or similar barrier will limit exposure while still allowing sensation while performing oral sex on a woman.

Customer:

i see, no she was not a sex worker

medtech254 :

If you know for certain that she is not promiscuous then the chances of getting something from her is low but the chance is always there.

medtech254 :

This is primarily a concern if you had an open sore in the mouth, etc.

medtech254 :

This would allow the vaginal fluids to make contact with your blood.

medtech254 :

If she is ok with it the best thing besides testing is to use dental dam (or saran wrap in a pinch)

medtech254 :

This will still give her similar contact and pleasure as a bare tongue, etc and keep you safe from stds.

Customer:

i see

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

can you get HIV from giving oral

Customer:

to a female

medtech254 :

Also keep in mind that while performing on her if you use your hands to hold the area open or insert fingers that if you have an open area on the hand/fingers this can cause a transmission of stds.

medtech254 :

Yes you can get hiv giving oral to a female but it is pretty rare and normally if you have an open area in the mouth (cold sore, cut, etc.) or cut lips.

medtech254 :

Hiv is mainly a blood to blood trasnmission.

medtech254 :

So with open areas the chances are much higher.

medtech254 :

Do you suspect her of having an std?

Customer:

I dont know for sure, I would think no, but I can never be sure

Customer:

here is no specific reason to worry

Customer:

but It was our third date so it was a little soon

medtech254 :

Ok, well depends on where you are located and your local thoughts on what the dating process should be. In most areas this has become pretty common place at the 3rd of 4th date unlike dating in the past.

medtech254 :

I would be honest with her and discuss if she has been tested.

medtech254 :

This is very important for both of you to discuss and especially before penetration might occur.

medtech254 :

If she is open enough for oral at the 3rd date she should be open to discussing this as well.

medtech254 :

This will help ease your concerns and bring you closer.

medtech254 :

I'm sure she has the same questions of you are your std status.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX helpful

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.