Dr. D.J.
Dr. D.J., Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

The other day I was climbing over a wall that was 6 feet high.

The other day I was climbing over a wall that was 6 feet high. When i jumped down I had immediate paid to my lower back, I was hunched over and pretty much crawled to my car. Now the paid comes in waves. Its always their but at times hurts way more than others. I haven't been able to stand up straight at all. And when I can walk, the pain hurts move when I step with my right leg. I leave for Europe in a week and I don't have insurance to see a doctor because I just got a new job and have to wait 90 days. I have been trying to stretch my back twice a day and put ice pack on it. Neither are helping, please help me with some advice. Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D.J. replied 8 months ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

mysticdoc :

You may have caused significant injury to your lower spine.

mysticdoc :

There can be compression fracture of the spine.

mysticdoc :

Herniated disc is another possibility.

mysticdoc :

These conditions can cause pinching of the nerves supplying your legs.

mysticdoc :

Your problem is more pronounced in the right side --hence the nerve compression is likely on that side.

mysticdoc :

There is also severe sprain of the muscles and ligaments supporting the spine.

mysticdoc :

A back brace will be helpful initially to provide support to the spine.

mysticdoc :

Avoid any bending, or weight lifting for the time being.

mysticdoc :

Ibuprofen 600 mg every 6 hours with food will help with the pain.

mysticdoc :

A muscle relaxant like Methocarbamol will help, but requires prescription.

mysticdoc :

Ideally, you should get lower spine xrays and get a clinical evaluation if possible.

mysticdoc :

If not, at least avoid any aggravating activities till the pain improves.

Customer:

What do I do to get this fixed?

Customer:

long term

mysticdoc :

Please get a back brace and avoid any exercise till the pain subsides.

mysticdoc :

After the pain is reduced a great deal, then physical therapy can be started.

mysticdoc :

Lower back exercises should be performed after 2 weeks of adequate rest or till the pain has gone down significantly.

mysticdoc :

There are various exercises --better to see a physiatrist for an evaluation.

mysticdoc :

This is a link to some of the exercises:

Customer:

Any other over the counter medicine I could take that would help, long with ibuprofen?

mysticdoc :

Tylenol also can be taken.

mysticdoc :

Topical ointments like IcyHot or Moov also can be tried.

Customer:

Ok thank you

mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

It was my pleasure to help you today.

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr. D.J., Board Certified MD
Experience: MD