Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

In 2010 I tested positive for strongyloides, I didnt treat

In 2010 I tested positive for strongyloides, I didn't treat it as my doctor didn't seem that concerned. I have lost about 17 pounds this past year unexplained can it be from this parasite? I am trying to gain weight but unable... How can I get rid of it safely?
Hi--what test exactly did you have and have you had other tests now to see what's going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes,just recentlyI had a cbc and glucose/insulin 3 hour test. My a1c was 5.7. on the fasting glucose/insulin test my glucose was normal however my fasting insulin was 1.4, and c peptide was 0.8 and my peak hour of insulin was the second hour not the first which I read online is always diabetes. Can you have diabetes with normal glucose and 5.7 a1c? Could this be causing the unexplained weightloss, usually it is very hard for me to lose even one pound.. I had the stool test for parasites that was sent to docters data that showed positive for strongloides in 2010
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the parasite test was called gastrointestinal function profile and it also showed positive for blastocystis hominis
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
also third line on the results said said parasite present taxonomy unavailable
Sorry for the delay No other blood work or GI testing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes cholesterol, cortisol,throxine,pregnelone,bun creatine sodium, potassium chloride, carbon dioxide, albumin,bilrubin,triodothyronine,urine,testosterone
What about a stool sample and upper and upper and lower endoscopy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no I haven't done that
The weight loss--no change at all in your diet? And no problems with your bowel movmements?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no changes in diet yes I am noticing more frequent bowel movements and much morefrequent urination every 2 hours approximately
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am forcing my self to eat a lot but have noticed getting full easier and almost no appetite
OK--this wouldn't be from the strongyloides, treated or otherwise. While I can't be certain about the diagnosis, this could be a malabsorption condition like celiac disorder or pancreatic insufficiency or perhaps irritable bowel syndrome. You need blood work for celiac along with upper and lower endoscopy and a stool sample analysis to get at the specific cause