Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

My uvula is swollen this morning and my throat feels scratchy.

My uvula is swollen this morning and my throat feels scratchy. I am running a low grade fever and have whit pockets on my uvula

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Do you feel any enlarged glands in the neck?

Difficulty in swallowing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Difficulty swallowing a bit no cough

Thank you for the useful information Marvin.

This is clearly an infection, can be viral or bacterial ---- as the white pockets you see on it are exudates secondary to inflammation.

Most of the times such infections are viral in origin and settle down spontaneously requiring no specific treatment; but for bacterial infection a round of antibiotics is required.

A throat swab is the most useful test to diagnose this with certainty.

Right now following measures will be helpful for you;

Gargles with luke warm water.

Motrin or aleve will reduce pain and inflammation (and hence the swelling) as well as fever.

Honey water is one of the best natural anti-inflammatory agent.

Plenty of hot liquids like coffee, green tea etc will provide a symptomatic relief.

If the symptoms persist, do not improve or get worse, see your doctor discussing all the details i have mentioned to get further management plan chalked out that suits best to your needs.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.