Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

My uvula is swollen this morning and my throat feels scratchy.

My uvula is swollen this morning and my throat feels scratchy. I am running a low grade fever and have whit pockets on my uvula
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Do you feel any enlarged glands in the neck?

Difficulty in swallowing?

Cough?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Difficulty swallowing a bit no cough

Thank you for the useful information Marvin.

This is clearly an infection, can be viral or bacterial ---- as the white pockets you see on it are exudates secondary to inflammation.

Most of the times such infections are viral in origin and settle down spontaneously requiring no specific treatment; but for bacterial infection a round of antibiotics is required.

A throat swab is the most useful test to diagnose this with certainty.

Right now following measures will be helpful for you;

Gargles with luke warm water.

Motrin or aleve will reduce pain and inflammation (and hence the swelling) as well as fever.

Honey water is one of the best natural anti-inflammatory agent.

Rest.

Plenty of hot liquids like coffee, green tea etc will provide a symptomatic relief.

If the symptoms persist, do not improve or get worse, see your doctor discussing all the details i have mentioned to get further management plan chalked out that suits best to your needs.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties